Naked Rambler Lock him up or let him roam free?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Instead of society having to accept his views and behaviour perhaps it time he considered the bigger picture and views of the majority of others. The guy is a PITA, if he is not mentally ill enough to be sectioned then off to the nick he will go due to his selfish behaviour. He's playing the game so takes his chances with who is winner.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it's a courtesy thing.
He's being incredibly discourteous.

He knows that he's deliberately offending a great many people, and he's brazenly doing it in spite of that.

Civilized....the behaviour of those who live in crowded cities....if he stuck to the back of beyond where folks had room to avoid him if they so chose; fine.
He doesn't, he's deliberately confrontational and uses the courtesy of the majority against them.

I'm no prude, but he's an idiot.

Bet all those who've said it doesn't bother them would still be startled when a naked man appeared walking along the road :rolleyes:
Imagine driving at sixty and getting distracted by him? or trying to walk past him and not look....and mind society doesn't do nudity easily in the UK, not among strangers, so people will try not to look; that's courtesy.

Frankly I grudge the money it costs the taxpayer to police him and lock him up, but if he is totally recalcitrant, the only alternative's a lunatic asylum or an island with no boat. Half the population is older too, he's offending them for no good reason but his own ego.

Time and place.

Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hey Robin glad you take my comments with a pinch of salt. Salt was once worth more than gold and people were considered worth their weight in gold. The comments where I stated my friends' views of him. Those friends, who you have never met and can't assess as to their attitudes or the validity of their views of the rambler who they have met both professionally and in the flesh as private individuals are people I consider have a good handle on people and personalities. What I mean good judges of character. If any one of them gave me an opinion as to someone's character I would accept it. It was their opinion, held individually as they don't know each other and have met this guy at different times.

I accept that naturism is not a sexual thing. I do wonder myself what his compulsion is to be naked at all times. It is also not naturism in the usual way in my view but an obsession with being clothe-less. Naturism is a movement, it has a philosophy that is not just about being without clothes. It has a lot of thee outdoors movement in it. In some ways it is a part of the mass tresspass sort of movement in that it was all about their view of health benefits. Germany is a big country for naturism and it is all about being in the outdoors. He would be better accepted there. However as the feeling of one of my friends in particular is that there is a negative aspect to his behaviour that was articulated as having a sexual element and at least an element of seeking a reaction I would wonder if even in Germany he would be wholly welcome.

As far as those great figures of protest through history that you mention go they were determined but they were also pragmatic and were part of the society as a whole. By that I mean Ghandhi was of the people and for the people. So was MLK for the people and of the people he represented. These people also worked in the world they lived in, worked with it to a degree. I don't see what this guy is trying to achieve. He has very little mandate for his protests if indeed that is what they are. By that I mean who is he representing. What is his big injustice? Is it really just a matter of degree of injustice that separates him from these great people? I say there is more than that. However it is just my opinion and you are totally entitled to that. Just as my friends (and me based on what they told me) are entitled to the opinion that he's a creep and there is a sexual element to his behaviour. Or at least if not sexual at least negative and harmful to others. Is that what freedom means? That personal freedom is more important than the harmful or negative aspects others have as a result of your freedom to do something? I just think he needs to wake up or grow up or accept the situation he is in. The legal merrygoround or change to responsible naturism like many do in this country and others.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Perhaps the solution to the perceived problem of this individual is the ASBO?
If his activities were limited to a designated area however large ,those who want to catch a glimpse of him and be righteously offended would know where to find him and those who might swoon at the sight might easily avoid him.
Presumably the majority of us who frankly don't give a damn for him or his cause might see or not see him in a completely random fashion and remain utterly indifferent.City centres would probably be excluded except during the small hours when the sight of a completely naked man walking the streets could have a positive effect on drunks who would hastily retreat to their beds presuming themselves to be hallucinating!:lmao:
Cheers , Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Like that suggestion :)

But if he is as recalcitrant as he appears (all those prison sentences) he won't pay heed to an ASBO.

Cheers,
Toddy

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
A multi billion pound industry -sex slaves -red light area`s - bankok -amsterdam - soho -prostitution - people smuggling to feed the sex trade !!! virsus -

The naked rambler ????

no contest !!!! :rolleyes: that guy is just cheep !!!:rolleyes:

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Lock him up and throw the key away. He can be naked in solitary all he likes.

For all the softy softy, it's only a body stuff on here, society has norms, and those norms need to be heeded for the greater good.

Here is an excellent analogy. What would happen if someone started posting pictures of naked men and women on here? Not sexual images, just naked men and women, standing there in all their nakedness. Anyone want to give it a go, and keep doing it, maybe attaching one to every single post they make. How long before the long arm of the moderators intervene? I reckon 1 post, that would be a warning, if you kept doing it, you would have deleted posts and a final warning, followed swiftly by a forum lifetime ban. Obviously, moderators, you are free to disagree, Google has millions of 'naked' images ready for the challenge;)

Society has agreed norms, just because you disagree with those accepted norms does not give you carte blanche to act how you want. Bang him up.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
society has norms, and those norms need to be heeded for the greater good.

150 years ago our societies norms included child labour and no vote for women, 50 years before that we thought slavery was normal and not a problem, 30 years ago openly racist jokes were considered OK on tv and drink driving was common and not frowned upon. Should we have heeded those norms for the greater good? I am not suggesting that this is a cause equally worth fighting for just pointing out that because society thinks this or that is normal and right today does not necessarily make it good.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Well it was O.K. for Bruce Parry and prime time T.V.

Never quite understood the wearing of shoes, if you want to feel closer to nature/unrestricted why wear bloody great boots and thick socks.

Ho hum

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, but like my feminist friend staying in the middle east, he dressed appropriatley.

(And she found it liberating.)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Lock him up and throw the key away. He can be naked in solitary all he likes.

For all the softy softy, it's only a body stuff on here, society has norms, and those norms need to be heeded for the greater good.

Here is an excellent analogy. What would happen if someone started posting pictures of naked men and women on here? Not sexual images, just naked men and women, standing there in all their nakedness. Anyone want to give it a go, and keep doing it, maybe attaching one to every single post they make. How long before the long arm of the moderators intervene? I reckon 1 post, that would be a warning, if you kept doing it, you would have deleted posts and a final warning, followed swiftly by a forum lifetime ban. Obviously, moderators, you are free to disagree, Google has millions of 'naked' images ready for the challenge;)

Society has agreed norms, just because you disagree with those accepted norms does not give you carte blanche to act how you want. Bang him up.

Does this mean your going to stop commenting on the no politics or religion rules on the forum, or the Mods are always right too rule?:)

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
when i went to college in the back of beyond northumberland, i used to cycle and a cross country route (sustrans 10, the reivers route, nice run all the way to kielder dam)
was a shortcut.
whilst riding home one day, i saw a chap riding towards me wearing what i first assumed was biege/flesh coloured shorts and no shirt. no drama there as it was a warm sunny day. what made me look again after we had passed was the fact that he had white socks and leather sandals on :confused: but as it transpired those biege shorts were not there and his bum cheeks were oscillating in time to his pedalling in the warm summer sun. understandably i nearly ended up head first in a hedge.
i didn't find it offensive, if you are gonna do that sort of thing it was in a reasonably appropriate scenario and by cycling his nads were partially obscured by his thighs.
should have been arrested for the sandal/sock combo though, bloody weirdo :nutkick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE