Naked and lost

• Thread starter Deleted member 56522
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Kephart advised not following streams/rivers as you would have to swim across/wade through tributaries and even the main flow itself. He advised walking the ridges as it is often easier ground and has more visibility of terrain.

Of course, he was talking about a different landscape but it does show there's no 'right' answer to these problems.
around here (in Costa Rica) following a creek downstream can lead you into into narrow gorges which then often end in waterfalls, requiring one to climb up and around -- nothing i'd recommend in the evening or during/ after rain when everything is slippery... that said about two years ago an exploration trip lead me to getting temporarily geographically embarrassed (it involves a disappearing trail, almost stepping on a 2,5 m fer-de-lance and my glasses fogging up in dense mist reducing visibility to almost zero) and following a creek to the nearby coast when i realised i wasn't finding my way back

near Fjordland (=New Zealand south island) i once went exploring in the mountains, following a ridge. as the vegetation prevented me from finding out how far i'd followed the ridge (intention was to descend to get back to the remote farm i was staying) i decided to head down as it was getting late... following a little creek brought me to a bigger creek, but in the darkness i missed my turn-off over a lower ridge which would have lead straight to the house.... the creek which got bigger from all the water running off the mountain finally completely disappeared in low-laying swampy country to reemerge a km further, slowly meandering to the river. fortunately i'd already been there before (and carried a daypack full of "goodies" incl.a headtorch and a map :cool: ) so i knew it was just a long walk in the dark...
without local knowledge and my headtorch + gear i'd looked for a suitable spot before dark and hunker down..

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch and TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE