Na NaNa na Nah Bat Boxes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
So, there I was enjoying a nice cold one and my client popped over to give me another little job. Bat Boxes. :evilangel:

They are not so evil as films make them out to be so that emoticon is quite fitting ;)
He came armed with two pages he got off 'internet, from a wildlife trust up north based on something the Kent wildlife trust did a few years ago so that was my remit.
The plans call for sawn untreated timber, my local yard could not provide anything less expensive than sawn joinery grade, which is both a waste of resources and money for this task. I explained this to the chap who was on the counter and he offered a solution, (I like those,) what if I could make do with some prepared timber that was in their short ends rack at a reduced rate in keeping with what I wanted. It meant extra work sawing shallow cuts into the inside faces of the components but I can live with that.
The shallow cuts are to give the bats an anchor point when roosting and act as a ladder for entry into the box and roost placement.

The boxes.

Bat%252520Boxes1.jpg

Three went into the roof space in the farmhouse, a very confined area as most of the house is of a Hall House construction, so no pics of those.
The others went up a tree but I had to get to the tree....

Bat%252520Boxes%252520Siting1.jpg

6 metres of thick bramble and stinging nettles and armed only with secateurs, boots and rigger gloves aided by a can do attitude and a few swear words :tapedshut

Path%252520Cleared.jpg

I had to clear a bit around the base of the tree and put the boxes around 5mtrs high, this pic shows the north facing box on the left and the WSW one on the right.

Bat%252520Boxes%252520Siting3.jpg

This one is the ESE facing one, you can see my tape measure hanging over the branch up and right of the box.

Bat%252520Boxes%252520Siting5.jpg

The location is right by a pond, currently dried up but usually supporting all kinds of insect life and we had a family of Mallards on there in early spring, a few good downpours of our typical english summer and it will be teaming with life again and is very close to a large woodland area. So I hope it ticks all the boxes for our local bat population and says :welcome1: .

I think the tree is of the Lime family but not sure which one, it is big and the bark is deeply fissured with younger branches and leaves like below....£1 coin for scale.

Bat%252520Boxes%252520Foliage.jpg

Leaf bot left is top view, leaf left above coin is underside, young twig for added info, so if anyone can positively ID this tree please do as it will help.

Ta for looking in. :)

Rob.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Leaf bot left is top view, leaf left above coin is underside, young twig for added info, so if anyone can positively ID this tree please do as it will help.

Looks like Tilia Johnsoni to me.

There's a picture of a 49 million year old fossil of it on the Wikipedia 'Tilia' page.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
How apt! Seeing as I am what The Late Terry Pratchett would call one of the "Bloody Stupid Johnsons" :lmao:
So it is one of the Linden/lime trees, I am correct so far but....if it is a living example of a once thought extinct tree............. It could be worth 'millions' Rodney.:dancer:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love bats and would love to have more around - eating all the blasted biting insects!
At various times of the year our roof becomes home to quite a few Pips and the lower windowsills attest to their healthy digestion... it is great to just stand and watch the bats dropping from the edge of the slates then wheeling to set off on their hunts :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Suzy and I spent over an hour watching bats in a small village in Burgundy as they set off the street light in order to attract flies and moths that they then swooped in on. Whether they knew what they were doing or not it was a sight to remember. In the farmhouse I am helping to restore we often find dessicated long grain rice sized droppings, Pipistrel droppings I believe, in places mice and rats could not get to, so the boxes in the roof space are for them.

Rob.

mark stotesbury

Forager
Oct 19, 2012
Cape Town South Africa
We make a lot of bat boxes to add to house eaves and trees , instead of cutting grooves in the back panel we just cover the back panel with shade cloth it works great as some of the smaller species battle to enter the boxes if the grooves are too wide apart . also our boxes are flatter shoe box shape. your boxes are pretty neat do you have a plan for them or a link ?

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
any chances of putting the plans up on this thread.

i'm building a garden table and benches etc and this looks like a great use for the offcuts!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE