N.E.Scotland meet ( Glen Tanar)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Re. the group meal, I was thinking more along the lines of a pit oven, but that's a looooot of digging. I'm putting out feelers with my neighbour tomorrow re. a carcass. I'll keep you all in the loop

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
No worries mate thanks for trying though,

Anybody fancy anything in particular or shall we have a chuck in stew ???

atb

Craig

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Mousey, no promises, but good chance I can pick you up from a main road on the Friday...

Thats a very kind offer thank you. But if travelling by bus I'll be going through Banchory quite late as well. I may well have use of the car - but to be honest sitting on a bus for a couple of hours followed by a bit of a walk is no big deal for me and it also means the missus has the car for the weekend, keeps her happy :) anyway it all depends IF I can actually get away...

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Well, it'd be no probs even to nip out of the camp to come and get ya if it helps. We can discuss it again nearer the time bud.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
[FONT=&quot]Ok folks Ive just had the GT camping guidelines back so we have to make sure we stick to both their and our own rules.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Guidelines for Camping at Glen Tanar [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These guidelines have been produced for campers using the Bridge o’Ess campsites at Glen Tanar. They follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code, and provide information about the resources of the campsite and[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]how to minimise[/FONT][FONT=&quot] the impact of camps on the local environment.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Respect the interests of other people[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Glen Tanar is visited by a great many people throughout the year; it is a working estate and is also home for many people. [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Therefore we ask that you:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Keep vehicles off the road during the loading and unloading of camping equipment (there is a bay next to Campsite A) and park in the designated area (refer to map). One car maybe kept at the campsite for emergencies. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Keep any pets on a lead at all times.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Check your camping programme with the Ranger Service in order to minimise potential conflict with other estate activities.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Leave the campsite and the surrounding area as you find it. Leave no Trace.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Care for the Environment[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Tents[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Tents can be pitched anywhere in campsite A (Grid Ref: NO501970) or B (Grid Ref: NO503969)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Raise ground sheets daily or move tents to allow the underlying grass to breathe.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Do not dig ditches to divert rainwater from your tent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Disposal of Waste[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Plan your disposal of waste in advance, try to reduce the amount of disposable material you bring with you, otherwise, re-use or recycle. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Do not burn or bury plastics or tin cans.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Recycling bins for plastic bottles, food and drink cans, glass bottles, clothing, cardboard and newspaper are available in Aboyne at the back of the Station Square shops, Aboyne Community Centre and at The Boat Inn. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Waste food should be packed and taken out.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Water supply[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Water can be taken from the Alt Roy or containers may be filled at the Visitor Centre.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]For washing (personal hygiene or dishes), take water and wash away from the river. Dispose of the water away from water courses.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Use biodegradable cleaning agents.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Toilets[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Toilet pits must be dug in the area marked on the map.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]A latrine trench should be dug with excrement being buried 5-10 cm below the surface. When finished back fill the trench and cover the site with stones.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Chemical toilets: arrange for the disposal of waste off-site in an approved manner or contact the supplier for delivery and uplift of portable toilets.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sanitary waste must be removed and disposed off site. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Fires[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A permanent fire site is provided on each of the campsites. Please do not light fires outside these areas.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Never leave the fire unattended.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]At the end of your stay, ensure the fire is extinguished.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Firewood can be collected from the surrounds. Do Not cut down any living trees.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Take Responsibility for your Actions.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This is not a risk free environment and it is up to you to act with due care and attention so that you are able to minimise your impact on the environment and the impact that the environment has on you.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Environmental Hazards to be aware of[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Sunburn/exposure[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Weil’s (Rats) and Lyme’s (Ticks) disease[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Steep slopes and deep water[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Toxic/allergenic plants[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Resident Wildlife in particular snakes (Adder) and biting insects (Cleggs)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

33m68p5.jpg

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Cameron and I would love to come up for this meet. We have not been out since the Bushmoot last year. If anyone's interested, I can bring my leatherworking kit and some hides and do a workshop.

Eric

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Would be great to have you aboard Eric. A workshop would be fantastic but only if you really want to do it mate.

atb

Craig

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
ok just had a word back from Eric ( The Ranger) RE the fishing.

He wants to know what fishing techniques we want to use so he can asses and either say yea or nea.

so any ideas???

Last edited:

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I was going to try rod and line, unsure of the exact methodology, be it spinning, worm dangling or fly. I don't plan to use any underhand techniques, such as dynamite, nets, tickling etc.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Right folks we have been given the ok for the fishing ( fly rods, rods and hand lines). I haven't a clue about fishing so you'll have to take the lead Adze mate if your willing to help anybody who wants to have a go.

Another thing I must mention is we have to park the cars at either of the 2 car parks and not on site. We are however allowed to drive to the site to drop our gear off but must then take the cars to the carpark. I have asked that we be allowed 1 car next to us for emergency and that's been allowed.

more info to follow shortly......

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Right folks we have been given the ok for the fishing ( fly rods, rods and hand lines). I haven't a clue about fishing so you'll have to take the lead Adze mate if your willing to help anybody who wants to have a go.

It's been a while since I last wet a line but I'm quite happy to lend some kit and give some basic instruction to anyone who is interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE