Mystery Tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Most of the trees on the streets near me are things like Lime, Horse Chestnut, Maple etc.

I've no idea what this one is and it is starting to bug me :confused:. Can anyone help?

Cheers
Stu

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
My first thought was a maple of some kind, the flowers look very maple and the bark is very like Norway maple, they don't all have maple shaped leaves. A glance through my book shows red snake bark maple Acer capillipes looks a pretty good match though there are a few others that could be possibilities.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
What about Pere david's Maple 'Ernest Wilson' (Acer davidii)

After a delve in Roger Phillips 'Trees in Britain' (p67) i'd have to agree. A. distylum looks close too but the keys (seeds) will clinch it - hanging down: davidii, on upright spikes (unusual for Acers): distylum.

Which part of this fair city has such exotic street trees? :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What about Pere david's Maple 'Ernest Wilson' (Acer davidii)

That was my second choice and I nearly mentioned it but felt the leaves were a better match for Acer capillipes, note the small side lobe half way down on the OPs leaves which is also present on capillipes but neither of the others. I think we can be sure it is an ornamental maple though.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I doubt they will have records of what was planted 20 years ago, or that their tree officer would have a mental or physical note of all the 10,000 street trees on their patch.

If there's a tree preservation order on it they'll know - our local inspector knew exactly what trees we had planted on our road.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Thanks for the help folks. This tree is a bit unusual on the streets of Roundhay and I didn't have a clue.
Interesting to learn that not all Acer trees have the 'classic' style leaves as that is one of the main features I'd use for ID.

Stu

Callum

Aug 21, 2010
Scotland
Hi Neanderthal

Don't worry about your tree ID skills. It's a cultival meaning that the gardeners have been trying to get it to look like something as far removed from what it should look like as possible, a bit like dog breeding.

I much prefer the natural look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE