Mystery machete/perang identification help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hiya....a mate recently dropped this round and i rather liked it and we wanted to find out more so i'm handing it over to you experts....no marks anywhere....

regards

a

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Its is MOD, I have a 1943 date stamped one ( plus crows foot)
Re-handled and given the Longstrider treatment by the man himself.
Light-sabre sharp.
You going to breath new life into it buddy?

See ya soon!

da C.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It's a pre Great War design although the early ones had slightly different proportions to the hilt. They were still being made at least into the 1980s by Martindale.

"Matchet, Rigid handle, NSN 5110-99-120-9963"

The Australians made a version with a canvas sheath and the Canadians one with a better shaped grip, Collins in the US made at least some of theirs

Apart from the obvious jungle use they were issued to all Bren and Vickers teams to clear fields of fire.

i'll get my coat....

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2012
UK
Hi everyone! I am the owner of said machete pictured here! I found it at my local recycling centre and was very impressed at the way it handled chopping wood! Far superior to modern ones! I knew it was old, but I wanted to know a bit more about it. As far as restoring it goes, I think it is probably better to leave it as it is, although a new handle would be good as it hasn't got much grip and I am quite attached to my limbs! Thanks for all your comments and to Angst for posting the picture on here!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE