MYOG Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I finished the first of my test tarp today. Probably three hours put into this. This includes lots of test pieces for tie out points that were tested to destruction.

Its made from uber light weight ripstop spinnaker material, apparently original cost is £75 per square metre.

It's a basic rectangle approx 8ft long and 5ft wide give or take. All of the hems are triple rolled and tie out points have four layers of re-enforcement. Thread is 100% polyester gutterman thread. Tie out points are black 1" grosgrain.

With a total of 8 guys and line locks plus an Alpkit silnylon stuff sack it comes in at 157g!!!! Its really small and can even compress further than shown in the pics.

There are already a couple of things I'd change. I tested which side the tie outs should be attached to. Four were done underneath and four above. It looks like aesthetically, putting them on top is the way to go.

Enough talk here's the pics.

web.jpg

More pics - www.bikeandbivi.co.uk

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Very nice! How was it to sew? I'm told that some of these l/w fabrics can be bu99ers, being very slippery.

My recently completed MYOG 1st tarp is a heavyweight 3m x 3m affair in 6oz ripstop cotton;

P040611_203501.jpg

NewTarp.jpg

Primarily it was a practical exercise utilising some fairly cheap material to get me used to using this handsome beast;

Jones2711.jpg

I'm pleased with both machine and tarp and currently have an 8' x 8' pyramid and a midge screen repair ongoing WIPs

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all first off what is myog secondly nice tarp and fantastic looking machine named after me regards dave

unsponsored

Settler
Apr 6, 2009
North East England
I was expecting the fabric to be a pig given all of the stuff I have read but to be honest it was no harder than dealing with pertex. I have some silnylon on its way which will be made into tarp. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I plan to make a few other variants over the next week or so.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice! How was it to sew? I'm told that some of these l/w fabrics can be bu99ers, being very slippery.

My recently completed MYOG 1st tarp is a heavyweight 3m x 3m affair in 6oz ripstop cotton;

P040611_203501.jpg

NewTarp.jpg

Primarily it was a practical exercise utilising some fairly cheap material to get me used to using this handsome beast;

Jones2711.jpg

I'm pleased with both machine and tarp and currently have an 8' x 8' pyramid and a midge screen repair ongoing WIPs
Glorious looking machine!
Is that one of the ones with a "boat" shaped shuttle or a round bobbin?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Glorious looking machine!
Is that one of the ones with a "boat" shaped shuttle or a round bobbin?

Thank you. I bought it on purely aesthetic grounds about half-a-dozen years ago. Only recently have I had the time and the inclination to play with it simultaneously.
It has the 'boat' shuttle.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thank you. I bought it on purely aesthetic grounds about half-a-dozen years ago. Only recently have I had the time and the inclination to play with it simultaneously.
It has the 'boat' shuttle.
Ah - I have one too - but only one shuttle - can you get spares?

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Ah - I have one too - but only one shuttle - can you get spares?

As I remember, no. I also bought a tatty old Singer in a treadle set-up around the same time, and that had its 'boat' shuttle missing. It still has as I was unable to locate a spare. I'll have to look into it again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE