My views on the folding bushcraft knife idea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Now before we go any further, I am not looking to start conflict and arguments about differing views on what a bushcraft folder should be. There are various ideas and designs, which is good. Life would be terribly dull if we all liked the same things.

These are my views and I was wondering what other think.

I am looking at a bushcraft folder for the UK. Something that fit into the section 139 of CJA 1988. So, 3" or under, non locking blade. I know all about the "we can use a fixed blade of any size as long as we have a reason...yadayada" debate and I am not looking to bring all this into it. That's been thrashed to bit on many occasions!

Let's face it, how many of us have access to vast tracts of wood land where we can do whatever we want?

For me at any rate, I think a small knife can do practically all things we can legally get up to in England, as long as its simple, strong, well made and easy to fix if damaged.

So I'll go for a chunky friction folder such as this one I designed and made.

DSCN0008-5.jpg

It has a just under 3" cutting edge, blade 3mm thick, with a shape somewhat reminescent of the Woodlore. The blade can be either scandi grind or convex.

It has 2mm steel liners for strength. This particular one has brass and copper pins and brass pivot. I have made them with wood, horn, bone scales and they can hame Micarta scales too. My preference is to use steel pivot and pins to get the maximum strentgh. The pivot can be riveted so that the blade needs 2 hands to open, or can be left so that it can be open one handed too.

The tang has a purpose: it is held in the hand and prevents the blade from closing accidently, the stiffer the pivot, the easier it is to keep open. The hole at the end of the tang also has a purpose: it can be hooked on and carried as a neck knife. You can make a small leather sheath with the tang sticking thought the bottom and hook it that way. The knife can't be lost, it can't open and it won't stab you if you fall on it.

This is another one with bone scales and all steel furniture.

DSCN1254.jpg

A member here has got one with horn scales and has written a review on his blog .

I think this idea works but what do you think? I am not looking for compliments, or to slay sacred cows, just constructive debate.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
I think it looks functional and very nice to boot!

The blade shape looks practical, durable and suited to the sort of bushcraft tasks you come across generally when out and about, food prep, basic tool construction etc.

The grind looks to be nice and maintainable too.

Hows the tang / friction mechanism hold up over longer use, is it just as secure?

Thanks

Drew

Last edited:
ive been playing withthis type of knife ide a in my head for a bit and had to try this to push the limit a bit

Sub 3" 3 finger blade bout the sale size n lenthd as Svord pesant blade with its tang etc

Dsc_4123.jpg

now a bit of Kydex and chicargo screw (not pretty kydex just doen to try it etc) the Kydex is moulded to hold it closed

and its now a S139 exemption compliant folder (which is the opinion of a Copper freind of mine tho he did say a judge would obviously haveteh last legal word if it came down to it but he wouldnt take you in for it etc etc )
Dsc_4132.jpg

Dsc_4131.jpg

Dsc_4130.jpg

any way a bit of fun and another Idea out of my head so i can sleep again :D

ATB

Duncan

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Duncan, I really think you are on to something there - not with the kydex but the fact most people hate folders because they worry about the joint breaking and what you have done is by having the joint away from the blade and allowed a portion of the handle to be held you have practically removed the joint from the equation under normal use. It's the fact that you can hold into the blade with your forefinger that I think is the genius bit.

If you combined yours and jojo's ideas in the way that you have your joint and enough room for the forefinger then rather than having a handle-like tang you have the stick tang like on jojo's and the svord's with a wooden body then I think you would have a winner. I think the only downside to yours is that -to a copper- it kinda looks like a fixed-blade knife with an inbuilt sheath but if you had a stick-tang and wooden body the coppers should be more forgiving with it and it would still have a lot more strength than your usual folder.

What do you think? Did that all make sense? :confused:

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Hows the tang / friction mechanism hold up over longer use, is it just as secure?
Pretty well. So far, I haven't had any of my folders coming back, nor complaints. The pivot is easy to retighten, it only needs a few loght blows with a peen hammer, I have done that with a couple of mine which had become slightly looser, but I think it was the scales drying up a bit that did it. It's also easy to replace the pivot if need be, it'd take about 1/4 hours to change it, that's something that's more likely on a heavily used brass pivot, I don't think it will be an issue with the steel pivot.

If you made it- well done!
You say you designed it and it is uncanny - but I hope I'll be forgiven for saying that... it looks just like a Svord Peasant

Yes, I have made them. The resemblance with the svord is only superficial. In fact, I'd say they resemble each other only as far as they are both folders, and that's about it.

svord.jpg

DSCN0008-5.jpg

The blade's shape is different, the tang is different, the hole on the svord's tang is outside the handle, and is not particularly comfortable to hold ( I have got one somewhere!), the blade is thinner and more flexible on the svord. My handles are much stronger with two 2mm liners, and the whole thing is riveted together.
DSCN0009-3.jpg

Duncan, I really like that idea of yours. It's quite clever to combine a fixed blade into a folder. I am not too sure how an argumentative copper would see it though, or a judge. I think there is some mileage in ASA Samuel's idea though, and perhaps making it difficult to separate the handle off the blade.

Alfredo, this is a really nice folder, I like the way the tang is made on it. A very simple idea that works well. I may pinch it as some stage!

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion
Ive used a Svord and I own one of JoJos friction folders.

The svord has a different blade shape,the svord tang doesnt sit flush with the handle which I found makes it uncomfortable to use,the Svord doesn't feel as well constructed as JoJos knife.

Id take JoJos design over a Svord any day of the week and keep mine with me all the time,have used it for carving wood,cutting hoseing and I even used it to baton once,you get good sparks using the back of the blade to strike a ferro rod to.

As you maybe able to tell I really like Jos knives and hope to own one of his fixed blade in the future.

A top blade from a true Artisan.

016-11.jpg

015-16.jpg

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Now this is my kinda thing!!! Got a Svord peasent and love it, in fact I prefer it to a woodlore clone or other large folder when combined with a small axe. BUT Jojo yours look great! I so want one, Umm how much are they?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE