My VERY basic kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi guys and girls,

So i only took up bushcraft a few weeks ago, and have started to build my kit. I have the following so far:

• Spear and Jackson Razorsharp Hatchet
  • Barnett Black Widow Catapult
  • Tony Hawk Gadget 2 Rucksack
  • Head Torch
  • Opinel No8 Classic Original Knife
  • TurboFlame Original GX7 Windproof Lighter
lRS0h2.jpg

I also have a 2 man tent and sleeping bag, but I have put my tent up for sale to raise funds to buy a Nomad tarp and hammock package, i also want to get some camo trousers and maybe a top too :) - has anyone got any advice on where to get cheap bits to help me build my kit up as i want to go out and start trying my skills, but dont want to go ill-prepared

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
You could do a lot worse than just buy a cheap mess tin and go with what you have, work out what is good and what isnt and add on accordingly. Kit is only any good if you know how to use it, and you have the basics msotly covered. Build a fire in your back yard, light it, cook on it, and ask yourself what do I need, NOT what would be nice/fashionable to have.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Once you've got the elements of your basic kit sorted then practice with each bit of kit at home, a lot of folk here do it.
Camping in the back garden may seem a bit lame but it's better to find out if your gear & skills work as hoped before being miles from civilisation.

• Cutting device
• Combustion device
• Cordage
• Container
• Cover

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It looks like you are going to be burning wood, so hoew about a wod burning device Even a cheap extra like a home made woodgas is going to save you work. The clearing of the fire scar, the gathering of wood, and the constant maintainence can be quite time consuming especially if alone and all you really want is a cup of tea. You have the tools to process adequate fuel for it, you do not have to burn through logs and stick to the size of the wood found.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup, mess tins or a stainless tea/coffee can modified with a wire bail.

And, with the tools you already have, it would be comforting to see a First Aid Kit!

Ogri the trog

thanks for all the advice guys, a first aid kit is on my list of things to get don't worry - my partner has just come home with 2 mess tins, a kinfe/fork/spoon set and a soild fuel shove - i would also camp in my garden, but due to its size i can't :(

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
There is cheap kit, and good kit...but cheap! Endicotts is really good, and are very helpful. I'd certainly recommend their German Army knife - the best grade is still less than a basic Swiss Army knife. They stock the German Army trousers, which are excellent (remember a little bit of camo goes a long way, so earth colours will suit you well), and they have plenty of cooking stuff. Their Dutch Army jackets are fantastic value, but ask Kev about the size options (I got the mid one at first, which was the size of a greatcoat on me), and the paracord is very good and very cheap. Look around your local surplus places after you've looked at their website, because you've then got a guide price.

Keep an eye on the Resources/Head Up threads - all sorts of deals, and the same can be said of Outdoor Magic's Bargain thread http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/5.html . Aldi has heavy but cheap self inflating mats and the Summit Globe light for just £3.99.
Alpkit has lots of fans on this site, and if you go to your local Cotswolds, you can sign up for their Explorer card. Its a data capture exercise, but you get 10% off your first purchase, various deals, and the catalogue free. The catalogue is really handy, because you can sit down with a cup of tea, and see what kit costs (why is sleeping bag A more expensive than bag B, etc). Once your aware of the levels, the brands, etc, you can spot a deal much more easily. And TKMaxx can be handy, if only for Craghopper trousers, which can be had for £20.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
...has anyone got any advice on where to get cheap bits to help me build my kit up as i want to go out and start trying my skills, but dont want to go ill-prepared

Have you got some clothes that you can go outside in? I'm thinking jeans, trainers, hoody, that kind of thing. If you have, get dressed, go outside, and spend some time working on your tree and plant ID, your knowledge of "bushcraft" will improve more quickly that way than by any other.

Kit that I'd add to the clothes I'm currently wearing:
notebook
pencil
camera
magnifying glass
many many field guides (collins do some very good ones)
water bottle/flask.

HTH

all the best,

Stuart.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Have you got some clothes that you can go outside in? I'm thinking jeans, trainers, hoody, that kind of thing. If you have, get dressed, go outside, and spend some time working on your tree and plant ID, your knowledge of "bushcraft" will improve more quickly that way than by any other.

Kit that I'd add to the clothes I'm currently wearing:
notebook
pencil
camera
magnifying glass
many many field guides (collins do some very good ones)
water bottle/flask.

HTH

all the best,

Stuart.

I agree with all of that but I would also add the Collines Gen book of Knots to the list. A piece of rope about 2"ft long. You can sit at home a learn your knots on the day's/nights that you can not get out.
Knots are a real skill and take some practise to learn and get use too. You don't just need to know how to tie the knot. You need to know what's the knot to use , When to use it. Its something that will take time. Don't worry if it take's weeks to learn even a simple knot. Once you can do it, You will have gained another new skill. There are some very good you tube videos teaching knots,

Good luck, And don't forget to keep us updated on how your getting on. And ask any questions you like. There are some very good people on this forum. With a vast skill set.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
There are a lot of videos on Youtube which show basic and cheap set up kits I would advise looking at them.

It does not need to be expensive when I was first starting out in survival(bushcraft had not been invented then) in the early 80's I used the old orange survival bag for my shelter and even used bin bags which I cut open and used as a base on a wooden frame. Now lots of years later and having done a fair bit of survival/SERE and bushcraft I still use bin bags as my back up emergency shelter system and it still works. The humbel bin bag has a lot of uses and is especially useful in our temperate and tempremantal climate which we live.

If you look at the inexpensive kit sticky on this Kit Chatter part.

Get the basic kit listed by people above and try and play around with it and learn from your own findings you tube and the forum helps a lot but nothing beats practice and learning. I have made my own cook pots out of coffeee and tea cadies and put handles and the like on them and then tried them out some were more successful than others and you soon learn from your mistakes and find ways to improve things for your way of working.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
That's a good basic start. I strongly recommend making and adapting your own gear and clothing, not only is it relatively cheap, it also teaches you an awful lot about what you want out of your kit.

Personally I avoid camo, unless you really need to be well hidden in the woods I figure it makes you look like an army wannabee. Dull greens and earth colours are nearly as good for that anyway and don't draw attention on the street. I vote for Endicott's too, they are very helpful if you give them a call.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
i do believe thats where she got it from lol - im not sure if i will use the shove, but it was a nice gift :)

I used one of those type stoves as a woodburner for years. They arent as good as the more modern firebox's but they do a brew on a handful of sticks no probs

*edit
Forgot to mention, i used to carry a tobacco tin full of charcoal and a couple of hexy blocks inside the folded stove

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2014
Derbyshire :-D
I would get a sheath knife, imo the mora companion heavy duty is by far the best for the price. It really improves your capabilities with woodcraft, fire making and most things in general. Looks like your making a good start with kit! As well as that, read as much as you can- collins gem books are great and pocket sized- wild food is a must!!! Ray mears does many good books as well, I favour essential bushcraft. Have fun and good luck!!!

Last edited:

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Army surplus is the the cheapest way too get your kit together.if you've a local shop check it out or you can buy on line. The best advice I could give you is not too buy too much at the start.get out n about and enjoy yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE