My ultimate bushcrafty knife - pic heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
First of all, I would like to say, thank bloody christ for batch image resizers and renamers! Secondly... when you make a new folder to upload to, remember the 'cd'.

This isn't really a tut for the record, just chronicling my new favourite knife; if anyone has any questions though, feel free to ask!

A while ago I approached Bernie Garland about making me a blade blank of my own design. And that he did :D Bloody well at that, it's a great blade - here she is:
bgknife01.jpg

The block is a bit of dyed-through curly birch I bought and Bernie drilled for me, since I don't have a pillar drill and can't drill a straight hole to safe myself :)

bgknife03.jpg

A test fit! The bolster is 5mm thick leather.

bgknife04.jpg

I did a little bit of tapering and cut the corners off before gluing up, but here it is glued... and the drawing is my idea of the finished product!

bgknife07.jpg

bgknife06.jpg

I find leather to be a real PITA to grind with a belt grinder, so I used the bench grinder to bring that section down to size.

bgknife08.jpg

Wee bit of rounding!

bgknife09.jpg

Contact wheel for the grinder for doing the hollows at the pommel...

bgknife11.jpg

Gettin there :D

bgknife13.jpg

Where the line dips down towards the blade, more material needs to be removed...

bgknife14.jpg

bgknife15.jpg

I kept checking the drawing and this mora for reference. The second pic shows the rough work done! Notice the beveled pommel, I like that :D
Just a note - I was going to peen the tang, but it just wasn't really happening, and I started to bend the tang so I just ground it flat - I really need to buy a couple cheap knives to practice that on!

bgknife17.jpg

Supergluing the bolster to seal it - I got a bit of leather dye on the wood but this sanded out later.

bgknife20.jpg

Almost :D

bgknife21.jpg

First coat of oil! :D

bgknife27.jpg

bgknife32.jpg

As you can see there's a small gap between bolster and handle :censored: However, I'm bloody thrilled :D This is, for me, the best all-round Bushcraft knife available, and there's only one of em :D

A very chuffed Pete :D

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Pete
Its a great looking knife and you did a great job of shaping the handle to match the original shape.

What the sheath going to look like?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cheers y'all :D

Brancho - the sheath's in progress right now :D Pretty plain, cord belt loop rather than a leather one, mottled brown. :) EDIT: Oh, and 5mm thick leather :D

Mesquite - you wont be disappointed :D

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Now thats really a good looking knive with a very practically shaped handle!
I once tried a rear end like you, but it didnt work out that good!
Some questions, though:
Did you just saw off the tang?
Wouldnt it mean the steel is exposed to the elements at this point and not hidden behind wood?
Maybe you should consider glueing a piece of leather on, that way both ends look the same and the tang would be protected from water creeping in over the years.
The hole drilled for the tang. For me, this is the worst piece of work. Did you file/ream it rectangular and if, how did you do it?

Anyway, excellent work!!!

I usually shorten the tang a bit and close the hole with a round piece of wood glued in. Or a piece of brass with a shrunk-in round piece of brass rod is glued on. Looks neat and hides the tang.
NICKER___SCHEIDE_004.jpg

Knives2005005.jpg

Last edited:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cheers mate :D

I did just grind off the tang - the hole was round, rather than rectangular, as it was just drilled out. There was very little in the way of space due to the epoxy, but I filled it in with superglue and ash, so water ingress shouldn't be a problem. To be honest though that was for aesthetics - I wouldn't be too concerned personally, I've used the wooden handled moras plenty (the whole inside of the handle is open to water) and never had any structural issues :) Normally I just drill the hole slightly short so I don't have to worry about it!

Those look great mate :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
It doesn't get better that this!

Top blade of your own design, then making your knife to match the image in your minds eye.

Excellent!
happy0034.gif

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice work Pete, Cant beat a bit of Puukko action. Like the pommel shape, im doing that for a chap at the mo on a difficult knife so hope it turns out as nice.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice work Pete, Cant beat a bit of Puukko action. Like the pommel shape, im doing that for a chap at the mo on a difficult knife so hope it turns out as nice.

Cheers mate :D

Finished this about half an hour ago :D

bgsheath1.jpg

bgsheath2.jpg

5mm thick veg tan, welted blade section, stitched with artificial sinew and a cord loop.

Comments welcome :D

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE