My ten year old survial kit....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
Hello everyone:

I would like to show and tell my first and favorite survival kit.

P1010443.jpg

P1010438-1.jpg

P1010446.jpg

P1010447.jpg

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
face paint?

was this a bosnia survival kit?

Do them wire saws actually work? I always bent them and didnt think much of them.

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
The face paint is for bow hunting and the British saw works fine for wet wood, the cheap American version sucks, yes it bends and breaks easy. This kit is for general use outdoors, it just contains things that can be used quick and easy, and nothing in it was cheap by any means. Been to Iraq never Bosnia....would like to visit though...

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
I am a severely addicted gear hoarder, over the past 15 years It have been a terrible burden on my non- crafty and my non-prepping friends, but when its time for a power outage or a adventure in the woods they all want to borrow my stuff.....and I like to show it off to people who appreciate the time effort and cost involved......why because things like this happen here once a year.....

tornadofrontstreet.jpg

stickinconcrete.jpg

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That is one of the better survival kits I've seen. It would be great as a BoB. Maybe you could talk us through it though? What are the two boxes? the black and grey ones? they are neat.

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
The boxes are small otter boxes:
http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/otterbox-3000/

One contains a F.A.K., blow out kit : The usual stuff for small to medium problems or injuries
One contains: A brass compass and a redundant back up, NATO fire starting supplies and two back ups, water tabs, cutting tools, fishing supplies.These two boxes are the boxes that always go with me in the woods or hunting.....

I'm to lazy today to really go into great detail: I need a new camera, the one I have has shutter problems, when this is fixed I will review and photo all the gear better.

On a side note, my BOB is next to the door with these boxes and also contains a assortment of critical supplies, food,water, shelter and during the winter stove and fuel. During the winter these boxes would not be as important as heat,food and a way to melt snow. Its just to cold here and wood is hard to come by in a emergency without trespassing on someones property. The winter kit in trunk or as you gentlemen say boot contains:
Winter B.O.B. ( Stove fuel ect).
Full size shovel:
Ice axe:
Tow strap:
Come-along:
Extra fuses:
Medium tool kit:
Gorilla tape and thick plastic sheets: Gorilla is the only thing that sticks in -0 temps
Bottled water:
-20 degree bag:
GI Gortex Bivy:
Set of tire chains:

psk1.jpg

cookinggearXA.jpg

tent1.jpg

cooking.jpg

MSRcook-1.jpg

P1010420.jpg

Last edited:

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
The tent unfortunately is no longer made, its a Black Diamond Mega Mid. Great tent, sheds snow and rain great, have had it up during 60 mph winds and it stayed upright.

The new one by Black Diamond is called a Mega Light and is just that smaller and lighter material. I purchased this one 13 years ago and it has been used on 3 assents of Mt. Rainer and several wind storms in North Dakota. This is my pride and joy........Black Diamond makes great gear.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/shelters

tent2.jpg

tent3.jpg

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice kit another kit collector like me where are you in the world ? regards dave

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Do them wire saws actually work? I always bent them and didnt think much of them.

Yes, some are stronger than others but I've used them successfully where no other saw would fit in the available space, for example where a tree has grown through a fence. You can get something akin to a chain saw chain with a loop on each end for a rope, they're a lot more robust and will cut through trees/branches/logs of any size if you're patient. You can also throw them over a high branch as they have some weight, with a wire saw you'd probably need to tie the rope to a rock or something.

Last edited:

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
thats an excellent setup there, next to the brass compass there are two small circular items (they look like mini centrepin reels) what are they?

Interesting thread woodtramp and thanks for showing.

In our relatively benign climate and crowded country - survival normally means being stranded, possibly injured, with a flat mobile phone battery, in high country, with the weather closing in (most avoidable fatalities occur in our "high" country - 3000' or so)

Here a survival pack can normally be fitted into a tobacco tin (a vacuum packed space blanket being probably the most useful item).

Interesting to see a survival set up from a land where the weather can destroy your house!!

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
This is another of my stand by tents for summer and spring camping.....lived out of it for three weeks one time and found out I like standing up in a tent, will be making a large Viking style tent this winter to keep for emergency house duty. Something big enough to work and sleep in.....

kealty4.jpg

kealty3.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE