My stove kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Having all the posts about people's stove kits I thought I'd post mine. I put this over on bb but thought I'd post it here too

It comes packed in a nicely fitting bag

[hide]
IMAGE_292.jpg
[/hide]

The book is for scale. The bag came free with a headset for a phone. Its a really good fit. You can see how snug it is below

[hide]
IMAGE_290.jpg
[/hide]

The stove is the standard Ikea drainer stove that lots of people have. I have cut out a panel (just now) to add thicker wood. It was a bit of hassle having to take off the pot to drop in sticks or poke down smaller bits around the side. The pot supports stopped me putting in slighly thicker bits. Haven't actually tried this yet but should work well

[hide]
IMAGE_289.jpg
[/hide]

The lid comes from a cd case I was sent (by Landrover strangely enough - no idea how I got on their mailing list). It seems to fit nicely. Incidentally, for anyone that wants to try it, cd cases in general seem to fit it well (like those you buy spindles of 50 blank cds). You can see the cutout on it. I used a junior hacksaw. I took the blade off the frame, fed it through the holes, reattached it and then proceeded to cut it out.

[hide]
IMAGE_288.jpg
[/hide]

These are the contents of the bag. Stove on the left, lid on the right. At the front are the pot supports. I made these out of a coat hanger. Used the hacksaw to cut them and pliers to bend them into shape.

At the middle back is the pot. This pot was part of a set of 3 (excellent advice from easilyled) bought from an el cheapo shop in the high st. The usual tea/coffee/sugar set. I was originally using my drainer as a pen pot so I swapped it for one of the pots, used one for the stove and have the other as a spare. Can't remember how much they were, 5 or 6 quid for all 3?

The lid comes from a tin of golf tees my dad gave me. The lid is a nice fit, not tight but rests neatly on top. Its the same tin top as you get from the tinned boiled travel sweets you can buy in petrol and service stations.

[hide]
IMAGE_286.jpg
[/hide]

This last pic is what it looks like set up. Obviously I'm indoors (please excuse the very messy desk) so its not alight. I drilled some holes in the pot and fed through some wire. This helps it to be picked up (usually use a leatherman minitool kept with it) and also means I can use it over an open fire.

The pot supports fit into a small ziploc bag (they get very sooty) and are stored in the pot. In the pot I also keep tea bags, coffee and sugar sachets and some mini pots of UHT milk. All I do is carry water separately and I can always have a brew. I also have some esbit tabs to go in the pot just in case but haven't actually put them in yet

The tin foil in the background comes from a takeaway container (house special noodles and special fried rice - mmmmm) . I'm going to come up with some way of using it so I can use the kit with a trangia burner and perhaps to create more of a furnace arrangement. Not sure how well that will work but worth a try.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Just a quick tip for all the 'hobo hobbyists' :D out there - A Dremel fitted with the cutting off disc will cut brushed stainless like a knife through butter - Don't forget your safety specs though :22:

nipper

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Looks like another nice little setup

I have got to ask you guys a question who use this type of small hobo setup.

I have a 10 cm billy and use it often for making a brew, but does anybody out there actually use one for cooking a meal in? I don't mean warming a rat pack but some proper meat and veggies.

I love the idea of a small setup for cooking, but is a 10cm big enough to cook a meal for one?

Nick

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Just a quick tip for all the 'hobo hobbyists' :D out there - A Dremel fitted with the cutting off disc will cut brushed stainless like a knife through butter - Don't forget your safety specs though :22:

A dremel is next on the list! I haven't got one yet but it would've made it much easier, the hacksaw was a bit of a hassle but to be fair took no more than 10 min. Will be useful for sanding back the edges though

I have a 10 cm billy and use it often for making a brew, but does anybody out there actually use one for cooking a meal in? I don't mean warming a rat pack but some proper meat and veggies.

I love the idea of a small setup for cooking, but is a 10cm big enough to cook a meal for one?

Nick

a 10cm billy would fit nicely in the ikea stove. i've never cooked in mine but it might be ok for 1. maybe. you could prob do some rice in it or some pasta, maybe even a little stew. i think you'd probably struggle though. I have a nesting pot set (just 1 pot and a pan type lid) that i put holes in on the weekend for use over an open fire. It came with a pot grabber so you can use it on a stove. The pot sits nicely on top of the hobo stove and you could happily team them up for regular use

Wayland

Hárbarðr

Nick

It depends how light I'm travelling. The 10cm is fine for stuff like rice, pasta or cous cous which are my usual light rations.

If I'm doing meat I usually skewer it or fry it but if I'm carrying meat then I'm not travelling light so I carry a frying pan as well.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
not quite sure on the legality myself. I've asked before and no one actually knew

I've used it in lots of places and had no problems with it. People have seen what we're doing and what it is but never really bothered me. I've generally been careful about where I place it though.

If someone does say 'no' then i'll query the exact reason and obviously put it out but in my view its a stove like any other

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE