Esbit stove question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Wasn't looking for a Titanium one
No worries but if you're looking for a small, light, folding one I suspect there's more titanium ones around.

Just curious why stainless steel not titanium. I'd be the opposite way personally. I find it interesting to find out why people choose kit based on materials choices like this.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
What’s the difference for a mini stove?

By the time you’ve made a couple of cups of coffee you’ve way more than regained the weight advantage for such a tiny item of equipment. Just leave 50ml out of your water bottle instead.

If 50gm deadweight and 50ml of water are significant, you are working too close to your safety parameters.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
That's 50g of gold bullion you could have sewn into your underpants to pay for the train home!
That would get you a ride out to site in first class, a decent room, someone else to cook your meals, some decent entertainment, a couple of bottles of good alcohol and the trip home - and probably a packet of Woodbines with the change!

I understand travelling light but not to the difference between stainless steel and titanium. Of course by carrying the lighter titanium I shall also have less cash to hump about too.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
For me it's not the weight, considering there's actually very little material in what is basically a tiny tray with a small pot stand attached. In either material it'll be lightweight. For me it's the strength of even thinner titanium. I've got various stainless steel and a few titanium stoves. I've yet to break a Titanium stove.

Don't get me started on the benefits of Titanium pegs over steel or aluminium alloy ones. All my alloy and steel ones end up looking like a corkscrew with all the times I've had to straighten them. Rarely needed to straighten Titanium pegs, not least because I can carry decent ones for lower weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE