my spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
you are proberbly board of seeing spoons by now but i really wanted to show you my collection. :p

spoons.jpg

Hope you like them!
The stiring spoon, spatula, large spoon and fork are all made from Beech. The smaller spoon is made from Birch and the butter knife is Sweet Chessnut.

All are oiled with vefetable oil.

And i dont even have a spoon knife! :D

Jon.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Very nice Jon. The beech has lovely figuring. Do you find them strong enough? I only ask because I once snapped a beech spoon while using it. I assumed it was because of the short grain.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Marts said:
Very nice Jon. The beech has lovely figuring. Do you find them strong enough? I only ask because I once snapped a beech spoon while using it. I assumed it was because of the short grain.
Most wooden spoons used in catering are beech so it's pretty tough if you don't make them too dainty.

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
nicely done, Jon !

It's good looking kit and it floats on water as a bonus! :D

You must explain the use of that round pointed fork though...

Since I also lack a spoon knife I am interested in how you did your bowl-hollowing.

Keep up the good work!

Bob

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i just gouged out the bowl with the tip of my knife and then sanded and sanded and sanded until there were no carving marks left in the bowl. It proberbly would have took you just as long to do it with a spoon knife. you should try it out and see what you can do with your normal knife. :)

And thanks for all the comments guys! :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE