My Perfect Stove Kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi,

i've recently been trying to put together a 'Wayland Morrisons' hobo stove (makes him sound like a C&W singer). I've tried the smaller version but could'nt get hold of a 10cm Zebra or anything like. I just used a Metal waterbottle cup, similar to a crusader. It seemed to work well enough, truth be told i though it was a great idea and had to have a go.

So, having already got a 12cm Zebra billy, i thought i would try the Morrisons 'Large' s/s container. I did exactly the same as the 10cm version, however, the 12cm Zebra would not quite fit into the larger container. I re-read Waylands thread and saw that he had cut some slots in the side of his to allow the handle brackets space and the rest of the Zebra slots in.

Now then, after i cut these slots, i found that the hole at the top of the container is now oval. I'm thinking that the strength of the container is in the rolled over portion at the rim. This is no 'biggie' but, asthetically, i was not really satisfied.

The problem is solved by buying a Morrisons 'Biscuit Barrel'! They are big enough for the large s/s container to fit into, but only just, so i figured they would house the Zebra snuggly.

Result! works a treat. Big enough for a brew, boil in the bag food and stable enough to hold a small frying pan!

They are near the s/s containers in Morrisons but have an enamel finish on the outside (cream or black) however, they are a seamless s/s container underneath, just a little bigger and at the same price. Oh yes, and they say 'Biscuits' on the side, but that disappears when you cut out your hole.

Just thought i'd share that with you:D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The steel is quite tough, you need a good drill bit and a drill press makes the job a bit easier.

The bit heats up so keep a cup of water handy to cool it off. ;)

The cutting was done with some aviation snips that went through it like butter. I drilled 4 holes and just cut between them.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just a quick heads up about my previous post on the 'Wayland Morrisons' biscuit barrel hobo stove.

I took mine to the Moot this year and during it's first use i discovered that the coating on the outside is paint. Which caught fire when used. Which is not good.

After extinguishing the fire (i usually hear sirens, but this time it was laughter!) i sat the stove in an open fire and allowed the paint to burn off which left the bare steel below. After this it worked a treat. Used in conjution with a 12cm Zebra billy it produced enough boiling water to make brew's for three and left enough for rinsing the cups afterward!

Just thought i'd best mention the fire risk:eek:

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
If I didn't want to share the idea I wouldn't have posted it in the first place as I said above.

The air holes at the bottom seem to be sufficient, there is a little bit of gap between the billy and the stove at the top so the heat causes an updraught and pulls air in at the base.

Near the top there are 4 holes to put the skewers through and 2 square nicks for the billy can bail supports when packed.

That's it.

If its not too late to ask, do you still have the base on the morrisons tin that is upturned?

just thinking if it was more of a tube then it might not 'wobble' but sit more solidly albeit would mean having the ash to clean rather than it being self contained in the pot?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just picked up an enamel coated (although I reckon it is paint!) drainer for the 12 cm zebra Billy I got for my birthday. Early birthday present! It fits absolutely perfectly, and i have chopped it up a bit with the dremel and it fits in great and stows away nicely. It needs tidying up a bit at the front, but all in good time. I'll be bringing it to Delamere to give it its first run. I also found a computer fan finger guard for the light weight Trangia pot holder, and it fits in the base of the 12 cm billy perfectly, so I am gonna grab the 10 cm billy and get that packed inside (wire bail arm) and start to get this kit finally perfected for me. There are a few bits and bobs that would make the setup really nice, but I can do without if I need.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It appears you need some sort of log in details that you can only get by becoming a seller of their kit. never mind, suffice it to say that it is pretty robust with a rolled over edge, Holes are small at the bottom of the stove and get increasingly larger towards the top and it is of stainless construction. The 12 cm sits so perfectly inside it it is beyond belief!

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
just checked that site looks like you have to be registered, i'll have a llok tomorrow in our local wilkinson's store, no big deal if i can't find one yet, it's work in progress, i'v got one of those evilbya pocket stoves that i want ot try so i'll bring that along

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE