My next probing question. Maglite, Petzl or another?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
My next probing question. Maglite, Petzl or another? Personally I have a 4D Maglite which I use for basecamping where vehicle access is available. To make the torch slightly lighter I use rechargeable batteries but this brings its own problems when the charge starts to go. My best investment was to upgrade my Petzl Zoom to a Petzl Zipka. No longer do I need to find the big 4.5V Flat batteries (although in it's later years I used an AA battery adapter). The light from the Zipka is very white and the battery life seems to go on for every. In time I have had this torch I have only replaced the batteries 3 times and use it for everything, including walking the dog.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I had the Petzl Tikka and now have the Tikka plus. I rate these above any other lightsource, except if you need a 'penetrating beam' in which case I like a 2d maglite.

The petzl is light, foolproof, robust and easy on batteries giving a vey useable 'flood' pattern of light. They're my choice every time :biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
maddave said:
I had the Petzl Tikka and now have the Tikka plus.
The petzl is light, foolproof, robust and easy on batteries giving a vey useable 'flood' pattern of light. They're my choice every time :biggthump

I swear by these lamps. I have one at home, one in the car and i use one at work on nightshifts. Very usefull for handsfree work.
For my "outdoors" one, I recommend this variant;
petzl Tactikka
The red lens is great for keeping nightvision when map reading and there is less chance of blinding colleagues by accident :shock: :roll:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
4D Mag, AA mini Mag, nondescript multi LED thing, a photon light and a largish rechargable lantern when the vehicle's close by. Wouldn't buy Petzl stuff for "personal" reasons, so suggestions for other quality head torches would br appreciated.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
There has been a bit of Maglite bashing recently which I don't agree with. My 2aa has served me well for years and I love my 2d. They have both become a bit redundant since I splashed on a Surefire E2E. They are a bit pricey but joe (ods) does the best prices around and the e2e is smaller and lighter than the AA but far brighter then the 2d. I have clipped it to the peak of a normal cap as a very bright head torch. The batteries are c123's which from the supermarket or camera shop are stupid money but on the net you can source them for much better prices.

Having said that if I did get a headtorch it would probably be petzl (sorry GP but nothing else comes close to their's)

Bill

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I swear by my Petzl Tikka Plus. It is ideal for bushcraft - not a lot of light, but a good spread of nice white light, and with a very long runtime.

If I need a bit more throw I'll use my Streamlight 4AA 7 LED or an Underwater Kinetics 4AA ELed, another pair of runtime Queens!

I highly recommend the UK 4AA ELed:Check out this review..

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i got both the zoom and the tikka headlight, both have there pro's and con's. I was thinking of buying a blackdiamond gimini. I saw obne in action in the weekend looks like a great light that can do what my tikka and zoom combined.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
We have several of the Maglites. 4 AA's, 2 AAA's, 1 4D and 1 3D. I like them for their low price (We picked up a clam pack that contained 3 of the lights (AA, AAA and 3D) for $20.00US), the adjustable light and they have yet to fail me as long as I"ve done my job and kept fresh batteries in them. I also have several LEDs, mostly Keychain variety in red and green. The red and green allow me to keep my night vision, which is important to me. One clips to my hat for hands free use.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
shinobi said:
I swear by these lamps. I have one at home, one in the car and i use one at work on nightshifts. Very usefull for handsfree work.
For my "outdoors" one, I recommend this variant;
petzl Tactikka
The red lens is great for keeping nightvision when map reading and there is less chance of blinding colleagues by accident :shock: :roll:
Wheres the best place in the uk to get a Tactikka? i like the red light option, handy for night time animal watching.... :biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Paganwolf said:
Wheres the best place in the uk to get a Tactikka? i like the red light option, handy for night time animal watching.... :biggthump

Hiya,

I asked my local outdoors shop to get one in for me. They are always more accommodating than most of the "high-street chains". It arrived in less than a week.
If not, the UK distributor of Petzl might be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Martin

P.s. I forgot to mention that there are two variants;
Petzl Tactikka Three LED's, on/off switch, not very waterproof
Petzl Tactikka Plus Four LED's, Multimode switch, more waterproof.

P

pathfinder

I have tried all sorts of torches through my scouting times, but my 4D maglite is by far one of my better investments. It's been dropped, kicked, had swimming lessons and is still working. The only problem I had with it was about a year ago, I was trying to find a replacement bulb. All the high street camping shops seemed to sell up to the 3D cell bulbs. I did find one on the internet, but I do like the idea of LED replacement bulbs. Is there anybody in the UK that sells them, or is it over the internet from the USA?

A few years ago a received a Petzl Zipka with a subscription to Land Rovers Owners magazine and now this torch goes everywhere with me. Scout camps, mountain walking/wild camping, in the car and even on business trips. I really like the way you can just clip it on to anything. Over this weekend we were hammock camping in a local woods, the Petzl acted like a mini florescent light clipped on the rope supporting my tarp.

The only problem I have with any head torch is being on the receiving end of someone's beam whilst they are trying to talk to you. With the advent of LED bulbs, the light is brighter and lighter thus increasing the time before night vision returns.

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
i was planning on getting the petzl tikka plus, but while i was browsing through my local outdoor shop i found a great buy. Im a total dunce when it comes to electronics, and torches, (im only 13) but neway, the torch is a cyba lite zenith. I payed £31 with my yha 10% discount.
the torch is the best of both worlds. It has 3 leds above the main light which is a 1 watt led, and is apparently 15 times brigher then a standard led, with a range of up to 3o metres. The torch has a battery back on the back, and seems pretty robust, and is comfortable to wear. I would go for this over the petzls, as it has the choice of the long distance led which is very useful for night walking. And for general use, in particualr looking for things in tents the 3 standard leds are very handy. And at £35 which i belive is the same price as the petzl it is a great buy. I will try and get some pics up tommorow.
Cheers,a
alex

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I have a selection of torches each with advantages and disadvantages
I have
a 4 Cell D size mag-lite bomb proof but bloomin heavy and generally impractical to lug about
a 2 Cell AA size mag-lite that's pocket sized but I find it a bit of a fiddle to switch on when my fingers are wet or cold
A princeton tec head led torch this is great as it's very tiny and can be bright medium or dim or indeed flashing. Problem is it's so small I can lose it in my bag. plus needing those coin type watch batteries and a screwdriver to change them it's not very "field practical"
My favourite is a head torch from millets with the words 'endurance essentials' on the strap. It's not focussable, has a 2cell AA size maglite bulb so it's fairly bright, the on off switch is a big push area on the side so it's emminantly usable with cold wet fingers, it's big enough not to lose and it only cost a fiver.
Cheap and cheerful

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
odin13 said:
i, with a range of up to 3o metres. as it has the choice of the long distance led which is very useful for night walking.
Hiya Alex,

sounds like a good head lamp, but why'd you need 30 m visibility when you're night walking? you taken up night - sprinting!! Only joking :D

A pet hate of mine is people that use torches when they're not needed, especially head torches around the camp fire.
And when you're walking, you'd be amazed how quickly you get used to night vision.
However, I've found that the petzl Tactikka plus is perfect. Because it's LED, you get enough light for every task and yet it's light enough to wear comfortably. Plus the added bonus of having the flip up red lens for when you don't want to trash everyones night vision, not just your own.

cheers,

Martin

dave750gixer

May 3, 2004
scotland
I am never without my Petzl Tikka Plus as it lives in my jacket pocket. But if I had to buy again I'd probably go for the Tactikka plus for the night vision benefits everyone else has discovered*. Cant fault it as an outdoors light and the benefits of still having both hands free cant be overstated. That and the rediculous run time. Dont think I ever use it at more than the minimum setting as its much brighter than I had anticipated.

*Everyone elses night vision that is. If I want to ruin my own I always have an ARC LSHF-P in my trouser pocket just in case I want a longer throw or brighter beam. Run time is a bit short though

Ok, Ok. I'm a refuge from BB as you can tell from the Surefire U2 in my pack :p

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I've got a 3d maglite with LED krypton replacement bulb.......and i never use it.. unless i need something to use as a hammer..

I use this cheap and cheerful head tourch, i picked it up for £9 with batteries included, it's great. Not as fancy as any of the Petzl ones, doesn't have any fancy modes, but gives out a good light and has lasted for ages. can't really complain about it.

http://www.wildday.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=2592

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
ye ive been using a AAA maglite and a cheapo headtorch, which i eventually gave up on, cause i was better off getting used to the dark. but now im happy with my cyba-lite :)
cheers,
alex

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Paganwolf said:

If you want animals to stand still at night... get two very powerful torches and run at the animal with both on whilst pretending to be a car... they freeze and you can get a good look but when you swerve don't run in to a tree ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE