My New (to me) Bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Not had the time to check it out properly until now but I had some free time at the weekend so I thought I'd check it out. It was bought from flea-bay for 40 of your earth pounds (including side pockets and yoke) in grade 2 condition but it seems to be more grade 1 IMO so I ain't complaining. It did require a bit of a clean but that was soon sorted with a quick blast with the Dyson and a scrubbing brush.

bergen1a.jpg

I packed it up and went for a bimble with it loaded up - can't say I noticed any significant difference in comfort from my previous "civvy" pack. Only a half hour walk so far over fairly level ground but I think I made a good choice with this. The many different pockets make it very easy to compartmentalise my kit which is something I am very pleased about.

Only one thing I had to buy extra was a rain cover - 5 quid off ebay.

It really does seem to be in great nick for "issued" condition - but it definitely has been issued as it has the squaddies name etc on it

bergen2a.jpg

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Mate that's a right bargain for £40 , the OD ones are quite rare these days I believe.

They look much better in OD than DPM, I wouldn't mind one for the sake of owning it but I've got enough clutter already.

Looks like it's in great condition too, well done.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Thanks guys! I am chuffed to bits with it. I had thought that it would be in need of serious repair/cleaning for the price but when it arrrived, required not much more than a scrub and a hoover.

I compared it to my good lady's Karrimor Sabre last night and while mine doesn't have the extra padding and back system, it does sit exactly where I want it to on my back with very little extra strain on my shoulders.

Can't wait to get out and about with it.

Cheers

Dr O

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
miles888 nice pack, indeed rare in og dpm has slightly more padding in the back. i put my first aid in the lid pocket, map kit in the inside lid pocket.
survival n shelter in outside pouchs, kit in dry bags or small compression bags

Feb 18, 2012
Wales
Ah, thing of beauty there mate.:You_Rock_

Had one of those (for civllian use). Lived out of it at university and nights out on the ulu tramping around by myself.

Best to pack shelter/thermarest/etc in one side pouch and then your waterproofs, etc in the other side pouch. I would keep the next meal and the brew kit in the pouch with my waterproofs.

I would recommend getting a sigg tin for the pouch on the front, or a couple of mess tins set into each other for stopping stuff getting smashed to hell. Pop your goodies in there for quick-n-tastic access.

All your clothes/sleeping bag etc go in liners/immersion sacks/canoe bags or whatever inside. It is BC! (before camel-backs), but run the tube out and under your armpit to the web straps.

Like your man says above, first aid kit in the pouch at the top of the pack. Maybe it is the ex-squaddie in my, but I used to keep a poncho/basha/bungees in the top with a sit mat there too. Just so if you stop and the conditions allow it, you can have your roof up and sit down for shelter.

Then put your brew on and it's hapy days.

Been thrashed around since then with a variety of military bergans, but that one has a special place in my heart.

If you look at the sabre, it is the off-spring of that. It also has the benefit of being drab rather than DPM, and whilst I don't mind kicking about in the odd bit of DPM on the hills it is nice to be able to not look like some airsoft bloke or someone doing beat up training in private.

It has only recently been replaced in my afffection by a very old Berghaus Crusader rucksack (which I got off a mate with a Helly Hansen Lausanne Jacket, spare bivi bag, map case, Silva compass and his own hand made gillie suit-all for £25 and a bottle of his favourite red wine, he actually only wanted the money but I had to buy the wine to stop feeling like I was robbing him!), which is slightly bigger I think and has a strange flappy lid which I mean to get to put a elastic line in to draw it in, which is another seriously good bit of kit. Difficult to tell which inspired which.

That will serve you well for years mate. I hope to pass mine on to my kids in due course, currently they's fit in it (the youngest in the side pouches!)

I have the DPM version and I love it,

I carried my Basha and bungees in the top pocket (Haven't tried to see if my DD Tarp will fit in there.)
Map and Navigation Kit in the bottom Lid pocket, I also have a Nite Ize Ziplit on the Zip here.
I have my hygiene kit in the inside lid pocket.
I have a LED Cordlock light on the drawstring on the main bags snow seal.
I have my Axe strapped to the side straps then the side pouch zipped and clipped on.
I have a rollmat cover from HM Supplies tied to the loops at the side (along where the side pocket zip is)
I have all my kit in dry bags, but I have a rain cover on my bergen as well, mainly to keep my bergen clean, it also stops the straps and loops getting snagged on any branches.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
just a question can you get extension strap for the waist as I'm bait of a fat bloke and its a little tight regards dave

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You could make one out of paracord, double cobra stitch and a set of matching buckles and you're good to go (plus a nice supply of paracord :cool:

Or with a short piece of webbing. There used to be a commercial one for the ALICE gera called a "Kovak Clip" or "Kovak Extender." I cain't seem to find it at the moment and TBH I'm not sure if the buckles would be the same size (although they ARE the same type)

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
So far I'm loving it. Never had such a versatile pack before. I'm loving the fact that I can separate everything and can get at it without having to dig through my pack. Also the fact that I can compress it to the size required for the trip is a huge bonus. No more packing anything and everything I can cram into it - adjust to size required and then pack. I am starting to wonder just how I managed without one of these until now ;)

Haven't used the daysack/yoke yet but I reckon it will be fine too. Handy to have I guess if you're at a fixed camp and want to go wandering off for a few hours.

Dr O

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
I'm pretty certain I was bidding against you for that sack! Good buy though. I have a dpm version. The only reservation is that these are built to be worn with webbing, so the 'waist' belt will end up somewhere on your ribs. Cracking piece of kit all the same - bombproof - and holds a shedload of stuff.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
LOL!! Maybe you were Corfe, it's always possible considering how much cra...I mean ultra useful gear we all buy from sleazebay! ;)

So far I haven't noticed any discomfort from the waist belt but then I've only used it a few times and never for more than 15 miles or so at any one time. I guess I'll find out in due course whether my back develops any weird twinges ;)

Dr O

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE