MY new R.M/A.W Woodlore some observations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
IMO Mr Wood should make a knife as good as the other knives he sells which he gets the same money for. You as the customer decide if the knife is worth what woodlore charge you for it. If I had the moeny to buy a custom knife it wouldn't be the woolore because it's not a custom, for less I could get one of Alans other knives.
If I'd bought a woodlore and had problems with it I'd take it up with woodlore not Alan. It is their job to sort it out from then on.

If I was Mr wood I wouldn't make woodlore knives as I would have got bored out of my skull, if that is causing a decease in quality over his other knives then he gets the same profit from then I'd be concerned if I was woodlore

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Sandbender,

I send a lengthy email to Woodlore, this morning as I could have lived with the rest of the things I noticed and wrote about but not swelling handle slabs and now slabs that have "wrapped" and losened from the tang, even though its only 5 mm, still this is the start as moisture will collect and stay trapped under it and things will probably get worse.

I think (hope) I could expect an answer from Woodlore next week.

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Its an undesirable situation. AW has a reputation for producing quality knives and as far as I know deserve his reputation. As an amatuer knifemaker, I know I will make mistakes and maybe one or more knives my customers get will be faulty. My responsibilty is to make sure my customers' concerns are addressed to their satisfaction whether with a refund, a repair or a replacement. I think the right course is to let the maker or the retailer know ASAP and give him the opportunity to make things right. If a lot of people complain then its time to see if a change in the way of working is needed to correct the problems.

I have to say that a flat bevel is straight forward to acheive with a belt grinder and a platen, I use one for all my grinding.

I keep seeing people say a single bevel is the best for wood and wood working tools like plane and chisels have a single bevel. But they don't, a standard chisel has a primary bevel of 25 degrees and secondary bevel of 30 degrees same as a plane iron. Angles can be changed for different woods.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I think the problem with the AW woodlores is more than a one off. My own knife was delivered at christmas and was poorly finished. I have spoken to several people since who have also had problems with theirs. therefore it seems to me that the quality of the new knives is less.

Alan Wood is the maker and bears the largest portion of the responsiblity but Woodlore must also ensure the products they ship are up to standard. I hope that Mr Mears and co are no becoming complacent. Public opinion is fickle at best.

It would be good to know the condition of the latest batch.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
As one who is contemplating buying a woodlore when they are on sale again, I would be very interested to hear what woodlore say in reply to your e-mail Bagheera!

After hearing all of these bad experiences with the latest woodlore knives I'm starting to turn my thoughts to other knives, such as the 'bushcraft knife' by Stewart Marsh (which isn't much different to the woodlore', and is 100 cheaper, and perhaps better made as he probably has less demand for his knife compared to the AW).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I've used a AW Woodlore for nearly a decade now, and recently replaced a 'lost' one with an early 2004 model. This is finished as my old one was, to a very high standard, with no problem with the wood swelling or warping, even during prolonged soakings which destroyed the sheath.

I was one of the lucky b*****s who got his mitts on one of the new batch Woodlore recently recieved, and I am due to pick it up from the PO on Monday, as soon as I have done this, I will give you a full report on the differences noted.

It would truly be a shame if this problem with quality is widespread, I have the utmost respect for AW and his work.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Hi guys,

My email to Woodlore got replied quiet fast:

"Thank you for your email of 9th July.

We will investigate this issue and get back to you as soon as possible.

Kindest regards

Jane Brown
Woodlore Ltd"

So I will patiently await the outcome of their "investigation" :confused: in the mean time I'll start packaging up the knife as I would think they'll like to investigate the subject in question themselves ;)

Best Scouting wishes from Holland,

Bagheera

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK, here it is. First impressions are not good, paid £225 for this knife and it was in a jiffy bag unwrapped with other items ordered, scuffing to the leather although minor has taken place.

On looking at the knife in the sheath, I do notice that the wood is lighter in colour than most others I have come across, and there are shiny patches on the end, which looks like danish oil that has been unevenely spread.

Trying to remove the knife from the sheath was a nightmare, severe force was needed and I genuinely thought that I would either injure myself or the knife would be air borne across the room. Wiggling it from side to side for a few minutes freed up the knife sufficiently to withdraw it safely. Putting it back required enough force to push your trousers down if you were wearing it :rolleyes:

The first thing I notice about this knife is the handle profile, it is without doubt more bulky than any previous AW Woodlore I have handled, and to be honest it feels much better, the majority of the extra bulk is at the rear of the front uppermost part, forming an almost square profile.

The blade is finished as I would expect from AW, and it is on closer examination that I may have seen what people may percieve as a secondary bevel. The edge of the blade (about 1-2mm) is very highly polished and could easily be mistaken as a second bevel. It is not. The finish is spot on and there is no problem with uniformity of the blade, it is very sharp.

In conclusion, the only cause for concern that I have are the ill fitting sheath, and the appearance of an unfinished treatment of the slabs.

I would advise a two day immersment of the handle in Danish oil to correct the wood problem, if there is one, and a repetitive insertion/withdrawal of the knife in the sheath to loosen it up.

Is the knife worth £225? On it's own, no. Backed up by AW and Woodlores after-service, and the stigma surrounding it, maybe. It seems to be achieving cult status, maybe soon it will be up there with Jimmy Liles famously sought after design. It is certainly more useful and robust, and it does what it says on the tin :D

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
The U.S. government did extensive testing of finishes to be used on wood rifle stocks years ago. It was discovered that linseed oil does a relatively poor job of preventing water penetration. (But I still like the odor.)

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
P7perfect,
Could we see a piccie of the knife - expecially the handle?
Or has it already gone on ebay????? :)

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Buckshot said:
P7perfect,
Could we see a piccie of the knife - expecially the handle?
Or has it already gone on ebay????? :)

I also managed to get one of the Woodlore's the other day. Will put up a picture tonight with some first impressions

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Well, for what it's worth I received my AW Woodlore a couple of months ago and am more than happy with mine.

It took the best part of 18 months to arrive, and I think it was well worth the wait and the money. I'm not into knives as much as many of you, but I reacon the AW Woodlore is an excellent purchase! I've never owned a 'real knife' but mine arrived razor sharp and beautifully made - a real solid, well made tool. I realise the AW model is not truly 'custom' anymore, but it is HAND-MADE and as such I guess things will sometimes go wrong. I think what really matter is that Woodlore provide a good after service when problems like these arise. Having dealt with the company on a few occasions (attending one course and buying a few bits) I reckon they will deal with problem both efficiently and promptly - I've always had excellent service from Woodlore.

Just posting my thoughts to add a bit of balance!

Mat

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right, here are some comparison piccies, sorry about the quality, my camera is on the blink so I had to use my phone.

WOODY_001.jpg

WOODY_002.jpg

..and no, I'm not going to sell it on eBay, I like the new dimensions very much.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Buckshot said:
Compared to what Marts?
Sorry :rolleyes: - compared to a Mora and a Bushman

Buckshot said:
Have you got woodworm in the handle?
No that's just the light - they're flecks in the handle.
(Unless AW is issuing then now with 'stealth worms' :eek: )

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Marts said:
Sorry :rolleyes: - compared to a Mora and a Bushman

No that's just the light - they're flecks in the handle.
(Unless AW is issuing then now with 'stealth worms' :eek: )
:D
Thanks marts
I like the wood on the bushman.
I really like my AW knife as well :)

Cheers

Mark

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Buckshot said:
:D
Thanks marts
I like the wood on the bushman.
I really like my AW knife as well :)

Cheers

Mark

The bushman handle is curly birch. The blade is birds-eye-damascus (01,1095 & nickel) with a convex grind. I lurrve it :D but I'm going to need get it re-handled as it's too narrow - I much prefer the size of the woodlore handle.

bushman5.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE