My new(est) birch burr whisky cup.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
A local birch burr that was quite small and the shape just had to go with the flow of the wood.

Left as many inclusions in as possible. There is one slight leak but that wil be sorted tomorrow with epoxy I hope.

Boiled in coffee to darken the colour and finished with walnut oil.

Thanks for looking.

;) Brian

kuksa pictures 002 (600x428).jpg

kuksa pictures 003 (600x429).jpg

kuksa pictures 004 (600x429).jpg

kuksa pictures 005 (600x429).jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautiful :D wonderful colour and detail :cool:

You could use clarified and heated resin. It ends up looking like amber :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'll get HWMBLT to take some photos tomorrow.
Basically though, gather some resin from the pine trees. Then it gets dissolved in something like pure turpentine so that it can be filtered. Then it's gently heated to dry off the volatile stuff, and as it does so it thickens up until it looks like clear, golden toffee, or amber :D
It softens with heat, but hardens up as it cools. If you're only going to use the kuksa as a quaich, it'd be very good. Tbh I think the resin would be fine in heat too, so long as it couldn't dissolve again, but since you'll not be drinking turpentine or leaving the alcohol in the quaich for days at a time, it shouldn't be an issue :)

Please mind that the forum is read by children whose parent's really don't want to be explaining some phrases to them.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you get stuck doing the dissolving bit, I'm sure I've got some of the cleaned up stuff left. Usually himself makes it up into sweetie sized balls for me, and I wrap them up like a chocolate in a twist of wax paper to keep them seperate.

Thank you :)

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lovely work that, would be a pleasure to drink from, and Toddy's idea for the resin could only enhance it. Look forward to more work.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A very lovely thing indeed, you're getting some great results from your carving..................

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Many thanks folks for the kind comments.

I couldn't wait and the araldite and cocktail sticks were out this afternoon.

The acid test was a little Drambuie and so far the liquid is only escaping out of the top and not through the bottom of the cup:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE