Birch burl kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The real Hell of this is that you need to decide what sort of adze you want/need and then buy the damn thing, the blade, sight unseen.

Kestrel Tool, Baby Gutter adze blade will not be a disappointment.
When the blade arrives, read the "Adzes and Ends" several times.
All the patterns are in that guide.
I have hafted, broken and hafted again, several times.
The adze is not a finishing tool. It is a roughing tool for shaping.

My concept has been to learn about the First Nations wood carving tools.
Without an elder as a mentor I have had to bash away by myself.
If there is anything I can add, just ask.

The D-adze makes perfect carving sense in my head
I can swing that all day long for finishing cuts of 1/16" or thinner.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
All finished now. Took it for a walk today, and so very nearly poured a drink into it, instead of the kupilka. Only right that the recipient is the first methinks.
Just a little sanding was done, and then the photoshoot. The more I handle it, the more I want to keep it. I didn't think it would be difficult to part with it, now it's done. But it is.
What am I thinking? it's only a wooden cup. :/

DSCN1155.jpg

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1164.jpg

DSCN1170.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1169.jpg
    DSCN1169.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 15

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Extraordinary work in extraordinary wood. You've done justice to the concept of carving a kuksa.
Very difficult to replicate but I think that you will come close on the next one.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Did another one. Pretty much completed just before I took delivery of the adze and started the platter. Tried to form it differently this time, by going further out in the sides, and swept back slightly. Also, you may notice the unconventional looking handle. I was aiming at one that would have no chance to break off inside an unforgiving sack stuffing. The handle shape is also to allow it to be held with a thumb running up the edge of it.
There are a couple of small splits on the lip edge, that are not getting any larger so I'll not worry about them. But I do have scope to lower the wall height a tad if need be. Really enjoy making these. Already looking at another one.
This one is for the other half, she loves it. So I'm happy. :)

DSCN1416.jpg

DSCN1418.jpg

DSCN1419.jpg

DSCN1421.jpg

DSCN1426.jpg

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Just had to save the best for last, huh?
Cannot say that I have ever seen a cup handle of that design.
However, it makes excellent sense.
Somehow, I suspect that any drink tastes better from a kuksa from your own hand.

Just don't drift away. Any and all of your carvings are good reference for anyone wishing to have a crack at it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE