My new coffee cup.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Good afternoon all,

I thought I`d share my new coffee cup/kuksa here. I carved it from sycamore and it is my largest cup to date. I will seal it using the boiled milk method on the inside and oil on the outside.
2013-11-27+21.43.46.jpg

Here are all the tools I used to carve it.
2013-12-07+12.52.33.jpg

And the finished product.

All comments and (constructive) criticism welcome! There are more pictures on my blog. My experiment with the milk-sealing method is there too.

Thanks for looking here again :)

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Very nice, it's beyond both my skills and my motivation, I tend to go to Moorland Rambler and buy an insulated stainless mug. (I'd put a 'shame-faced' emoticon here if I were inclined to search for it).

I like the rough-hewn, handmade look of yours, rather than the shiny-smooth effect of the machine-made ones.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Cracking job mate, my little bit of constructive criticism would be maybe take a bit more wood out of it especially around the top to make it fit the mouth better, you can take Alot out and they remain strong, just don't go too far!
again good job

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks Vizsla. You have a good point. I picked it up again and it could indeed do with some weightloss. I might see if I can push my poor spoon knife a bit further.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
After tonights weightloss session. It improved, I think. I begin to run into the limits of the mora 164 here. In januari I am treating myself to a lefthanded spoon knife. the combo will make these things a lot quicker, easier and with a better finish.
2013-12-09+21.57.59.jpg

2013-12-09+21.57.43.jpg

Tomorrow morning before work I`ll put milk in for the inside finish.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Well if you've done all that with the Mora 164 that's brilliant.

I think the square edge would hold things back a little. You could champher the outside edge a bit if you wanted to trim it down further.

Looks great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE