My knife broke! Make sure you can trust yours.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Hey Draven Man.... No problem....

What I was saying.....

1. Daves knife broke when he was chopping at some vines in his back yard...

So I suggested some that would be more suited to that job.....
True, there are better knives suited to the job, but that doesn't necessarily mean thicker. Adding stock is really just a means of compensating for poor steel and or poor HT, or a weird shape like skeletonised handles. A practically designed knife with good steel and good HT wouldn't have had the problem, which is why a Mora, at 2mm, can take one hell of a bashing and stay straight and even keep its edge.

2. No I dont mean Moras etc don't or do break when being wacked as most are generally fairly tough.... However I would sooner baton a thicker knife when splitting wood (Same as using a log splitter and hammer rather than an axe). Or a saw rather than an axe on thin greenwood. Then keep the smaller knives edge for the intricate stuff...
All things being equal, so would I, but it's more do to with a thicker knife pushing the wood apart than it is anything to do with strength. That said, I have a Leuku and Axe, so I don't use my Mora for splitting any more - as I've said various times it just doesn't make sense to me either so I see where you're coming from - but even my leuku is only 3mm thick, and I can't imagine me buying anything thicker. I don't see my Leuku breaking.

It would (Stand by for flack)... seem that a lot of folk post here pictures of stuff that are very pretty, but I would bet are hardly (if at all) used.
Well that depends - keep in mind that most people on this forum don't live in the bush, so I bet that quite a lot of people don't use their knives in everyday life. I'd be willing to bet its more to do with lifestyle than "the knife is too nice".

And lets be honest here.... I rarely make stuff (Tho I have done). A majority of knife work is the sort of thing what Dave was doing........ And that means having a generally thicker longer and therefore more usefull blade for the task....
The majority of knifework is whacking things? Since when? I mainly use knives for carving, food preparation and in the case of my leuku, splitting wood down and general cutting tasks. I don't recall ever whacking vines. I would prefer a machete if I was going to make a habit of it, but I'd never be able to call that a general purpose knife.

Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Presumably using his CRKT Ryan Plan B :D

cheers,
Toddy......who so far today has used her knives to carve a netting needle, make feather sticks, split down kindling, howk out nettles (a Jojo sickle :cool: ) prepared lunch and dinner, and had a wee shot with a duff knock off swiss army knife on some serpentinite.:)

MadRat

Banned
Mar 2, 2009
Round the corner
My sort of everyday Knife....

1733.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I live in central Scotland............trust me, the only time I might use that would be to take out a lot of willow or bracken. Otherwise no damned use.
I believe BOD however makes use of something similar.........but he kind of lives in a jungle.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toddy...
...thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading that. The knife I got from Davy Moore (Ireland) came in a similarly unexpected way...
Mine didn't come by post, it was handed over after sinking a few pints of Guinness and a short while looking it over after he showed it to me - even then I didn't know it was for me.
It's a really amazing feeling when someone gives you a blade. I dunno if it gets less dumbfounding when you've got an armoury, but I was speechless when he said "...and this one's yours" and it wasn't just the drink not talking I'll tell ya!

:D :D
Davy Moore makes nice shinies, really nice shinies :approve:.........You're a very lucky man :cool:

atb,
Toddy

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I'm fed up with my knife, it's pretty enough but the steel hasn't been well hardened, there are points on the blade edge that roll as soon as it's sharpened :( I'm going to save up for a custom one, I like the look of Davy Moore's one for sale, the Celtic one, beautiful knife! A bit pricey for me at the mo, but I'll save up and get one :D

I'm looking at getting a sickle as well, mainly for gathering. i do use pruners but I need something faster.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Helle do :approve:
One of mine delaminated......I'd a new one in my hands within days, no charge and all the way from Norway :rolleyes:

I've seen three broken buck knives though, so their statement's just mince.cheers,
Toddy

They repaired mine (at least 20 years old) when I broke the tip off.

All the way from the USA and free of charge.;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's good to know they stand by their customer service, but they still said that their knives don't break.......:but they do :(

cheers,
M

MadRat

Banned
Mar 2, 2009
Round the corner
It's good to know they stand by their customer service, but they still said that their knives don't break.......:but they do :(

cheers,
M

Toddy... Man.... you must be fed up wiv this.....

Strewth How many times do you have to say somthing round here?

Don't anyone listen first time?

I said...

Don't anyone.....

MadRat

Banned
Mar 2, 2009
Round the corner
I'm fed up with my knife, it's pretty enough but the steel hasn't been well hardened, there are points on the blade edge that roll as soon as it's sharpened :( I'm going to save up for a custom one, I like the look of Davy Moore's one for sale, the Celtic one, beautiful knife! A bit pricey for me at the mo, but I'll save up and get one :D

I'm looking at getting a sickle as well, mainly for gathering. i do use pruners but I need something faster.

1. Pretty enough...... No comment....

2. Custom one.......... No comment.....

3. Billhook.......

MadRat

Banned
Mar 2, 2009
Round the corner
Madrat - you'll need somewhere to upload the photos online...
www.photobucket.com is a common one.

Once you've uploaded the image to your photobucket account, hover your mouse over the image, click the box next to where it says " code" (think that's right) so it copies to your clipboard... and then "paste" it into your message and the image will appear in your post.[/QUOTE]

Thanks BigShot..... Still trying to get to grips wiv this computer type thingy stuff.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE