My Frosts 106 gets a new sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
My Frosts 106 was the first non-kitchen knife I ever bought (not counting my Swiss Army Knife) and it still sees almost daily wood-carving use. The sheath I'd made for it, however, left a lot to be desired to I decided to make a new one and give my dutiful little knife the accessory it deserves.

106sheath1.jpg

106sheath2.jpg
106sheath3.jpg

This is my second time using a wooden liner and my first time using dye, but I went really carefully with this one and spared no effort. The dye was Fieblings "Medium Brown" but the name seems misleading, it comes out almost black after just one coat. The dangler ended up a little thin but this isn't really a hard use outdoors knife, it'll mostly just sit on my belt while I sit and carve.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's a complete beauty of a sheath. I've seen a lot of sheaths that are more sophisticated and a lot that incorporate more features, or more exotic touches, but it's the simple ones like that that are the best and that sheath is just about perfect in my judgement. Well done mate!

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
great job! I bought a Mora Classic today, came with plastic sheath, maybe your job will inspire me to try making one.. Great stuff mate. Any links that would help?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thats pretty good going.
Can I suggest this TUTORIAL for a better method of measuring the leather size etc.

Diluting the Feibings leather dye with denatured alcohol (methylated spirits in the UK) helps get more even coverage and allows you to build the colour more slowly.

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
I was thinking of diluting the dye with something since it's alcohol based, do you think isopropyl could be used simply because its easier to come by than denatured ethanol (I have it under my sink even now)?

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I was thinking of diluting the dye with something since it's alcohol based, do you think isopropyl could be used simply because its easier to come by than denatured ethanol (I have it under my sink even now)?
Should work I would say but do a test on a piece of scrap leather.

The main part of these was medium brown diluted.

Arisknife1.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE