my first winter hang.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Myself and one or two pals are meeting up for a winter camp in Cornwall from Saturday morning until Monday lunchtime. The weather forcast is for cold north east wind bringing cold arctic air straight off Scandinavia,night time temps are expected to go down to -5c , a cold one!
I think i am prepared,high calorie and high carb foods for the duration,am taking home cured bacon and chicken fillets too.I just finished making my first under quilt for my hammock,i just hope its warm enough,its made from a 15 tog duvet backed with space blanket type material to reflect body heat all covered in 1.1 O.D ripstop nylon,for top layer i have a Snugpack Antarctica 2 sleeping bag which i will use as a top quilt,and over the top of me will be a DDtarp .
so you guys got any tips on keeping warm or for winter hanging?

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
The BBC weather forecast for Cornwall is +5 degrees at its lowest this weekend (based on Bodmin). OK still cold compared to this last week. Your food & insulation sound perfect, my only advice would be 'Keep the wind at bay' that is going to be your enemy !

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like you should be toasty Justin, you might notice a bit of condensation against the space blanket but you should be able to air it out in the morning.

Have a good one, looking forward to seeing the pics

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Make sure your underquilt hangs with no gaps under your body. Any air gaps will drastically reduce warmth. This is more easily done with a helper. You can then adjust the tension to get it to hang correctly. If this doesn't get it to hang right, you can bodge with safety pins or gaffer tape for the night until you can stitch it.

With that lot at 5c, you should be throwing your bag off in the night feeling too hot :)

Good luck on it Fish! You'll love it:)

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Your idead for the underquilt sounds good. I've got an old duvet (still in good nick) so shall work on that over winter. Not used my hammock yet but next year ...

heres a rough pic of the plan ,i will post a vid on monday.

hammockdraw.png

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
'Sigg hot water bottle' in a pair of socks is a good idea, it's what I do. Makes them nice for putting on in the morning.

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I used an Osprey bottle filled with boiling water over the weekend - it was still pretty hot in the morning - wrapped it in a shemagh to make it cool enough to touch!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE