My first spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
This is a pic of my first attempt at carving, it's a spoon. It started as a plank that i found in my dad's garage.

SP_A0331.jpg

Unfortunatly though, i noticed that there was a hole in the bowl about half way through making it.

Oh and i kinda cheated and used a power tool to finish some details. *hangs head in shame*

What do you think?

peace, mel

kimbo

Nomad
Feb 21, 2006
Kent
That's a good first effort mrmel .........far better than mine mate!

Plenty of people here will give you some great advice where to go from here.

all the best :)

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Kool thanks guys, any and all constructive critisism or advise more than welcome.

i will be trying my hand at a kuksa in the near future so keep an eye out kos i will be showing any and all who wish to see.

Peace, Mel

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Definitely find some green wood if you want to make a kuksa! Try your local tree surgeons, they often stick it all through the chipper just to get rid of it. If you have a choice of species go for willow, poplar or alder which all carve really easily. If not then, as litefoot said, birch is very good.
Nicola

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
Cheers Doc I was planning on useing the turorial in the articals section for my kuksa.
What do you think of oak as i have a massive oak tree in my garden, which I could take a piece from?

Peace, Mel

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Is't the problem with oak that it needs to sit for a year or so to get toxins out? Or was that only for burning?

Not sure!

Mike

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
No reason why you shouldn't use oak, but it does tend to be quite tough going. If you're new to carving it might take you several goes to hollow deeply into a kuksa during which time it will get increasingly hard.

I personally would find something easier to start with like alder, poplar, willow or birch.
Nicola

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Is't the problem with oak that it needs to sit for a year or so to get toxins out? Or was that only for burning?

Not sure!

Mike

No "toxins" in oak only tanin...the same stuff you get in tea if you leave it stewing a long time. Its also the stuff that comes out into whiskey and red wine from the barrels and gives a sharp taste. Perfectly safe for food use but quite fibrous and not in my first (or second) choice list for spoon carving.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
No "toxins" in oak only tanin...the same stuff you get in tea if you leave it stewing a long time. Its also the stuff that comes out into whiskey and red wine from the barrels and gives a sharp taste. Perfectly safe for food use but quite fibrous and not in my first (or second) choice list for spoon carving.

Ah, thanks for the insight. I love this forum, so much excellent knowledge & advise! :You_Rock_

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE