My first spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
After reading the postings for a while, I realised that it is almost a rite of passage to make your first spoon. With that in mind I took a suitable log from the wood pile and spent the next few hours in a blissful state in the garden - Wife & kids think I have gone mad and told me several times that you can buy 3 for a pound at Tesco's! :banghead:

Anyway, I do not have a spoon knife so did all the work with my SFA and bushy blade. I will rectify this shortage at the weekend and buy a spoon knife as I am now hooked on whittling!

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00290.jpg

The bowl is a bit long, but as I said I do not yet have a spoon knife, so hope that my next attempt will be better!

Simon

Cannot see anything wrong with your spoon mate and in a way you made it with the two tools that every bushman/woman would carry whilst out in the scrub.That is a fixed blade bush knife and an axe.

Does it hold the soup?

Are you able to lift it upto your lips?

Thats all that matters, unless of course your venturing into the handcrafted by Peruvian goat herders spoon market.

You have proved to yourself that if need be,you can fashion your own cutlery with the minimum of fuss and produce an object that i would call 'workmen like' :D

As leon as stated above,you don't need to go rushing out and buying another piece of duffle to way you down.A burning ember weighs less than a spoon knife (something that i do not possess.)

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Nice work, have you started gently rocking backwards and forwards yet...if you haven't you will soon.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Smart Si ! Nice one :) The Spoonie road is a relaxing one, try different woods and different shapes etc, its very soothing thing to do is carving spoons ;) and at the end you get something you can use, how goods that :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE