My first spoon (bit of a bandwagon, I know)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
Being relatively new to BCUK I have noticed how spoon carving is something of a right of passage, hence - my first spoon, carved on Christmas day in the back garden after a tremendous dinner. Used my new Mora and my brother's new crook knife. The wood is a piece of Hazel from the bush at the end of the garden, which carved really nicely.

The crook knife was brilliant and obviously did what a straight knife couldn't but when I buy one for myself I will get a single sided one as when you try to push the blade in a controlled fashion using your thumb, if you forget the blade is double-sided, well...you can work the rest out for yourself!

Wouldn't mind having a go at making my own crook knife some time, with a smaller radius for more detailed / subtle carving.

IMGP0639.jpg

IMGP0636.jpg

I never intended it to be a laddle, the wood was just shaped that way. Obviously, I haven't rubbed it down or sanded it either - I just like that freshly carved look.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Looking good.

Been there, cut that with the double sided crook knife but then I am a south paw so it was a choice of getting a cheap double, making one or spending about £40+ on one.

I took the cheapskate option but I keep meaning to make my own like you said with a smaller radius and also a crooked knife both lefties but never get round to it :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice spoon Rickety,

Better than my first effort. As I've mentioned before my first spoon looked like the ace of spades :( :confused:
You could maybe take off a bit more wood from that as it looks a bit chunky but I'm not knocking you it's a good'un for a first attempt.
Best bit of advice I was given by an excellent bushcraft Instructor was look at the spoon on 4 planes - side views (2) and top and bottom views and above all take your time and make the cuts carefully, and a little at a time. You can't put the wood back on :confused: but you can always take a little more off with care.
Anyway nice one, well done. :You_Rock_

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Being relatively new to BCUK I have noticed how spoon carving is something of a right of passage,
It has become that hasn't it :) Its a great way to practice woodcarving as there are alot of different techniques involved in carving one.... so most people here end up carving one or two (or loads) sometime in their lives..... I've now diversified into knives and forks to complete the set ;)

:D
Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE