My first sculpture! Pic heavy!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
A good friend of mine was lucky enough to be invited to a salmon fishing lodge in Restigouche New Brunswick. As a thank you to the lodge member who invited him, he asked if I could do some sort of copper sculpture relating to Atlantic salmon fishing. It will be on a base with some weeds and such when it's finished but thought I would share my progress so far. It started out as 1 1/4" copper pipe and was done over the course of 1 1/2 days of hammering.

mamarusa.jpg

du5enuju.jpg

mava8u7a.jpg

edu9eje2.jpg

e9a2edyv.jpg

yjeqyna5.jpg

edu7unu8.jpg

syju4ana.jpg

naza4ymy.jpg

It was brazed together with copper phosphorus brazing rod and the fins were attached with solder. 19" long and weighs almost 5 lbs and will be an outdoor sculpture

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That looks amazing - really very good indeed! Hammered copper is really cool, and you've made that Salmon come alive.........Thanks for showing it,.............................atb mac

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
It will be displayed on a golf course the fellow owns, he loves copper sculptures and has them scattered around the course. I plan on mounting it to a stone base with copper weeds

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
OK - I'm really liking that.

I can't begin to imagine how hard it was to get both halves to line up right! Plenty of fishmongers would pay decent money to have that outside their shop:

2551475209_d986bdfb30_z.jpg

(Yours is much better)

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Beautiful work. By the way, a bit of noob question, do you work it hot or cold?

It is annealed by heating it red hot then quenching in water. The copper work hardens quite quickly so this must be repeated several times before your finished. I just used propane for the annealing and mapp for the brazing.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Thanks for all the kind words! This came close to being scrap a few times! Now that its done i am quite pleased I kept at it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE