Copper rose tutorial, Very Pic Heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
This is my first tutorial and at a couple stages I forgot to take pics but I will do my best to explain!

Materials:
About 10" of 1/2" copper water pipe
6" of 1/8" steel wire or rod (can be copper but the steel is what I had on hand)

Tools:
Tin snips
Propane torch
Bucket of water
1/8" drill bit and drill
Small cross peen hammer (I made one)
Small ball peen hammer
Cold chisel (or something to make veins on leaves)
Small fine file
Metal working solder
Brazing rod (optional, you can solder everything but it can be frustrating)
Mapp gas (only if you decide to braze)
Needle nose pliers
Block of wood
Small anvil or big anvil or a block of steel
Small piece of sandpaper for cleaning solder joints

Step 1
Cut a 6" length of copper pipe
y3epa6at.jpg

Step 2
Heat with propane to a cherry red and immediately quench in cold water
uduzazy6.jpg

Step 3
Using tin snips, cut through one wall of the pipe all the way
by5ejagu.jpg

Step 4
Using pliers spread pipe open being very careful not to cut yourself. The copper should be soft and pliable at this point and easy to work
u8yvavuj.jpg

Step 5
Hammer the copper flat on a steel surface with the flat side of the ball peen. You don't need to hit it hard. Remember the more you hit it the hard it will be to work so keep the hammering to a minimum.
esa8aju2.jpg

Step 6
Cut two full size squares and one half size square and one square about a 1/4" smaller than full size. You really don't need to measure, it doesn't have to be perfect!
4yza8yje.jpg

Step 7
Drill an 1/8" hole in each of these 4 pieces roughly in the center. Again it doesn't have to be exact! It's a good idea to hold these pieces with pliers while drilling because they can catch and will cut you!
8ame6yde.jpg

Step 8
Cut from the middle of each of the four sides on two full size squares to within approximately 1/8"-3/16" from the hole
gejapy6y.jpg

4use5upa.jpg

Step 9
Cut a "V" in each of two long sides of half size piece
8y8umyby.jpg

ete5y3ev.jpg

Step 10
On the small square make a four pointed star with fairly narrow points
8egymuqe.jpg

Step 11
Begin rounding petals by nipping corners away
y8emyzu8.jpg

y9abeba6.jpg

any6apej.jpg

vymu8ute.jpg

Step 12
Using a cross peen put lines in a fan pattern around each petal, the copper should be fairly soft still so you don't have to hit very hard. Just light taps and overlap the blows.
qa3e9etu.jpg

5ezera9a.jpg

qu4yba6a.jpg

Next is brazing or soldering, to be continued in next post!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Step 13
Start by brazing the star about half an inch down the 1/8" steel rod then add one of the full size petals...please dont forget the place the petals on with your cross peen marks facing up! add the second full size at 45 degrees rotation, to the first one and then followed by the half size at 45 degrees to that. Be light on the brazing you don't want it all over the flower like my pic but its not the end of the world if its just a thin run. Once welded quench in water and trim 1/8" stem to within 1/8" of top petals
2unypyba.jpg

u8ate8a3.jpg

Step 14
Bend on of the two top petals straight up and curve the sides in a round shape. Needle nose pliers work great for this. Bend second petal straight up and curve around first petal. You are just bending to form the rough shape for now so,don't worry about making it into a rose just yet!
vu8uqu6u.jpg

Step 15
continue bending all the petals up while working around the flower in one direction, curving each one around the next
4a9yqy7a.jpg

u9e5yveh.jpg

Step 16
Bend the star down in a sort of "s" shaped curve down to the stem, do all four this way.....I missed a pic at this stage.
yge4esu4.jpg

Step 17
Carefully and randomly fold the lips of each petal out and shape the flower to your liking.
uvu7amut.jpg

e2e2yby4.jpg

Congratulations, you just made a rose! Stop here if your happy or if its embedded in the wall of your workshop! If the latter, don't give up.....it took me 4 tries before I figured it out!

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Step 18
Leaves.....cut a 1 1/2" piece of 1/2" copper water pipe and heat to cherry red. Quench in cold water immediately.
abu5y4e9.jpg

Step 19
Cut the pipe as you did with the last piece and flatten
3u7azu3u.jpg

Step 20
Cut in two and round bottom edges with your snips and shape into a rose leaf shape
uqeda9ad.jpg

ydehy5ys.jpg

ame6asuh.jpg

Step 21
Vein the leaves using a dull chisel or thin piece of metal
ese5yvyb.jpg

naregyge.jpg

Step 22
Using a small fine file, cut serrations in sides of leaf. You can leave this step out but it really adds realism to these
ydaguty5.jpg

Step 23
Using the ball side of the ball peen gently round and shape the leaves to the desired shape. I also used the cross peen to crease the leaf
uzana9eb.jpg

uqusy9ed.jpg

ma2a8aqu.jpg

Step 24
Take the short piece of copper wire and wrap it around the stem
ejyma9uj.jpg

5yqu9yve.jpg

Step 25
Braze or solder in the desired position
yhujameh.jpg

y6ana8e6.jpg

Step 26
Missed some pics here but I will try to be as clears as is possible with me!
Clean the mating surfaces of the leaves and branches and flux and Carefully tin each part.
Add heat and join parts.
Quench and adjust leaves to your liking
qyha8ema.jpg

On to the base......

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
I didn't take many pics at all for the base but basically make a flat from copper pipe in the same fashion as you did for the flower parts.
Cut into the shape you would lie, the base to be. (I chose a heart)
Using ball peen "sink" the copper into the wood block in order to make it 3d rather than just flat.
Drill an 1/8" hole in the center of you base
Bend a 1/4" of the end of the stem at 90 degrees and inset into the base.
Braze and quench the bottom side
8ysydu5a.jpg

Now sit back and admire your rose, then go make the misses smile from ear to ear!
ajyruhu8.jpg

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
just a quick thank you for all the kind words and, as a point of interest.....these things sell! i posted a pic on my facebook with no intention of selling and have been asked to make 10 by various facebook friends! And as coincidence I've finally located an Anvil and this will sure help with the purchase!!

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Today and yesterday I went into production! No measurements in an effort to make 12 unique roses.

abege9e8.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE