My first leather bottle!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
For some reason earlier last month I started thinking about making a leather bottle. I've never dun anything with leather before so I thought I'd put a post on here asking how it was dun, but then I came across Eric_Methvens post showing off some of his grate work including some amazing leather bottles that really inspired me and a description of how he did it, so I thought I'd have a go.

Well here is the result.

p1010002kc2.jpg

p1010003im7.jpg

p1010004rb5.jpg

Im quite pleased with is although I do think it looks a bit to much like a hot-water bottle for my liking :rolleyes: . It is a bit small but it would make a good hip-flask :D .

There's just one problem, I made it out of a leather off-cut I got from a traditional cobbler a few years ago and am not shore whether it would have been tanned with any nasty chemicals. If it has been could it be dangerous to drink out of?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That's excellent for a first go. Well done.

As far as the leather being dangerous, I think you can rest at ease. Two reasons for this. Firstly it is likely that you had oak or veg tanned leather. Veg tanned leather stretches much like yours has while chrome tanned leather does much less so.

Secondly, in any case, even if it is the chrome tanned variety, the wax on the inside will effectively seal it from causing harm to you, providing you used bees wax and not parafin wax to do the sealing.

I would drink from it. No problem.

Eric

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Wow thanks for the feedback guys, its always hard judging your own work.

Thanks for the reassurance Eric yes i did use beeswax, we got it when we broke up a old hive we had down the garden.

So next time i go for a long walk ill fill it up with some meed my Mum made from the same hive ( for medicinal purposes of course ;) ) and think of you guys.

P.S. It was actually my brother who got the leather jon r, I cant remember what he wonted it for now but he went to a traditional shoe maker who works in shresbury and got a bag of off-cuts. I made the bottle out of the largest piece.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Nice one m8. I must say since finding this forum and seeing all the really sound things that are made I find myself really inspired
To crack on and get on with making all the thing I am constantly making in my head!
chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE