My First Knife !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Some of you may know that I prefer to carry a larger than average blade when out in the woods. My Fallkniven A2 has been a favourite tool for some time now. I've owned knives since I was about 6 years old, and other than the obvious occasions such as in bed, in the shower, on an airoplane and the like, I can hardly remember ever not having a knife of some sort about my person somewhere since then. I've owned knives of all descriptions but had never made my own, from scratch, until now. I've put handles on shop bought blades, but never before had the pleasure of owning a knife I could truly call my own. (That is apart from the heat treat which was done for me by Chris Claycomb.. Thanks mate!)

Now I can ! :)

For those that might ask, it's a full flat grind with a small, convexed, secondary bevel. Blade is 8" long. OAL is 13 1/4". Made from 5mm thick 01 toolsteel with files and wet-n-dry. The handle is of cocobolo with very thin spacers of black and white vulcanised fibre, held in place with brass 1/4" hidden bolts and a shaped brass guard. I made the sheath with a recess in the throat so the guard sits inside the lines of the body. I did this because the shape of the guard meant that it would not sit flush against a sheath with a throat set at the normal 90 degrees.

I made a couple of fundamental errors on the knife (like letting the grind reach into the spine of the blade at the plunge cut) but overall I'm pretty chuffed with it as a first attempt. :eek: :)

Attachments

• IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0562.JPG
    IMG_0562.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 124

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Been reading American history for many years. Came across a single account of a Native American throwing a tomahawk. I've come to believe the practise of throwing away a perfectly good weapon is more of a white innovation - no matter what Hollywood would have you believe.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Don't worry on my account Pierre ;) I'm more likely to throw my wallet at something than this knife. :) After the hours I spent on it with wet-n-dry it's either going to be in it's sheath, or in my hand!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
The handle is of cocobolo with very thin spacers of black and white vulcanised fibre, held in place with brass 1/4" hidden bolts and a shaped brass guard.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Ian, you and your shiny things :rolleyes: That O-1 is gonna stop being mirror so fast :p It does look good now though! I am really looking forward to seeing it in person.

Another thing.....you need to post much, much BIGGER pictures!! :lmao:

Those are so small we can hardly see what it looks like ;) :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Absolutely fantastic, even more impressive that it is your first :You_Rock_ .

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I really do wish I could post bigger pictures, but the forum won't let me upload anything bigger. The only way I know how to get things small enough to upload is to shrink the whole thing. Is there a way to perhaps reduce the "computer size" (Mb) of a photo without making it too small or too grainy to be worthwhile? I guess there must be a way, but I'm no good at this 'pooter lark...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. My next effort is going to be a little more like a typical "Bushy" knife, but once I had decided to take the plunge and make my own blade I just had to leap in at the deep end with a big, flat grind.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You need to get the pictures onto something like photobucket or imageshack. I don't use them myself, but that is how most people do it.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Apologies for dragging this up again but I've now discovered how to use Imageshack and can now actually put up some decent sized pictures (I hope!)

my.php
[/URL] [/IMG]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Longstrider,

I have often enjoyed looking at your work - so don't apologise for bringing this one back since I missed it before. What a lovely knife. I do like a small belt knife but there is without a doubt a place for a large "camp knife" as well - thats a beauty!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE