My First Knife (With Pics!)

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Got up early this morning specially to finish it off.
Here it is.
All my own work - blade, handle and sheath. Some small imperfections (as I was sanding the scales and bit of wood flew off - as you can see), but I am so incredibly chuffed with it. Going to christen it this weekend.
This is the first one I've done and it was a real learning experience. The blade was made from a pair of old gardening shears, the scales from some wood I 'liberated' from a timber yard nearby, and the sheath from an old pair of biker's boots picked up at a boot fair for £2.50!

2941208604_de49289281.jpg

2941208656_17322d0693.jpg

THERE ARE MUCH BETTER QUALITY PICTURES POSTED BELOW

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Will do.
These ones were taken rather hastily with a phone camera. Will take some posh ones this evening and post them.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'd fill the hole with epoxy mixed with sawdust from the wood you used.(looks like oak) overfill it and sand it down when the epoxy has dried. It looks like it will make a great user. I have 3 or 4 bushcraft knives, but still only ever use the 1st one I ever made. It also is 1080 steel and Oak and holds an exeptional edge.

Bugger, gonna have to post some pics of mine now......

Congratulations! I have to say that's a good looking honest knife, does exactly what it says on the tin.

I've just finished my second knife as a companion knife to my first, and I have to agree with the comment about your first knife being the one you use the most. Mine just sort of fell together and feels right in my hand.

Really am going to have to learn how to put pics on here.....

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Looking good Sleepy mate!What kind horn did you use for your the handle and are you going to mate a leather sheath?Maybe now you have worked out how to post pics you can post some more of you craft work.I made a knife using a old chisel as a blade wish I had some more to work with.I think you done well here mate,great work keep it up!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
nice wooden handle mate , mix some sawdust from the same wood with glue ,fill the hole then sand flat ,you wont even see it.

dont take ths the wrong way mate but that sheath is dangerous , it needs a welt or the the blade will cut the stitches and come through the side ,a welt can easily be added to the same sheath with no problems.

well done on the project and i hope to see more , a matching skinner?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE