My first knife project, started today. + pics!

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Right, I was in the loft earlier and dug out an old meat cleaver I used to shape the boards I layed up there and figured it could do with a 'freshen up'. The back of the blade had been hammered and burred during the boarding and the cheap plastic handle had cracked. My first thoughts were to file it back to shape and fit a new wooden handle but while looking at it and having a good feel I took out my pencil and drew a smaller blade coming off the handle.

HMK1.jpg

I imagined the new blade in my hand and decided I had more use for that than the meat cleaver itself just being 'resurrected'. So, I took out the ol' hack saw and rusty vice I found in my shed and got to work.. hack saw + 4mm stainless steel in a vice that isn't secured to a work bench.. difficult but possible. ;)

After about 30 minutes in my work shop/stairway, it looked like this. :)

HMK2.jpg

I'll need a new blade for the hack saw soon but it was fine for the amount I needed it for. Finally though it was cut out after a bit of hard work and enthusiasum.
The selection of tools I used (excluding the file) and the other bits of cleaver.

HMK4.jpg

The new boot knife in my hand..feeling very nice. :eek:

HMK5.jpg

Pretty good central balance but with a bit more toward the tip end..good news as I intend to make a paracord handle for this piece. I also think this little number will work well as a thrower, better than my scissor blade throwers I had 'created' in the past.

goodjob

HMK3.jpg

Now what's left for my cut out is a good bit of file work to create a nice grind/edge..maybe a fresh heat-treating and tempering if my wifes-friends-husband (black smith) can do it for me.. as you can all see I'm some what short of toolsmyself.

What do you guys think so far? Thanks for reading. :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that must of been some hacksaw session :)

Haha..that it was mate! Worth it though becasue if my blacksmith contact isn't interested in helping me it won't actually need treating as I kept it cool and away from power tools (as advised).

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
thats brilliant Samon,...

really,...seeing the blade you planned , drawn on the cleaver like that,...

i would buy some apoxy tho and treat it to a wooden handle,....all that work chopping it out and your gonna wrap it?....

come on, tell us,...how long did it take to hack it out with the stairtop-free-floating vice set up?

i love your enthusiasm matey,..:D:D

how you planning on putting an edge on it?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
thats brilliant Samon,...

really,...seeing the blade you planned , drawn on the cleaver like that,...

i would buy some apoxy tho and treat it to a wooden handle,....all that work chopping it out and your gonna wrap it?....

come on, tell us,...how long did it take to hack it out with the stairtop-free-floating vice set up?

i love your enthusiasm matey,..:D:D

how you planning on putting an edge on it?

Haha thank you! I did think of a proper handle but I've not got any decent wood/enough practice with handles to make it ..'good'. The cord handle would look good and basic (how i like 'em) and would mean it could double as a thrower. I haven't used a cord handled knife for more than 5 minutes though..are they bad after a while?

The edge will be put on with a hand file, no electric tools getting used on this piece and the time taken to cut it out...hm..about an hour and a half..ish, and was f'ing hard work! had to grip it with my feet and prop the back piece with the file.

Nice hot bath afterwards made it all better though :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Is there much point in re-treating the blade? it's pretty hard already..made by/in 'rostfrei'.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
that just means stainless in German mate,....

i,m not 100% sure its a manufacturer name,....

if it'll file then persevere and file it,.....dont be tempted by the grinder, you came this far ...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
that just means stainless in German mate,....

i,m not 100% sure its a manufacturer name,....

if it'll file then persevere and file it,.....dont be tempted by the grinder, you came this far ...

Yeah it'll file, I'll make sure of that. Ah ok, thought it was a make or soemthing but that makes sence. Grinder's gona take the back seat for a while, I think I'll stick to hand tools when sharpening and reshaping all my tools now.(too many tempering nightmare stories!)

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Thats a cool project samon... I agree that cord for the handle is a little basic... How about making your own micarta scales?
That would be a fun project in it's self!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thats a cool project samon... I agree that cord for the handle is a little basic... How about making your own micarta scales?
That would be a fun project in it's self!

I don't have the money tbh, buying nice wood and decent fixtures will cost a fair bit won't it? I will be buying a few more files tomorrow though, hopefully. I should deffinately make a work bench..might help me out a little bit ;)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
If you're after wood for handle scales there's free wood in the woods! You can use paracord obviously, but it's not the most comfortable after a few minutes and food prep traps nasties in there...nice project, coming along a treat!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If you're after wood for handle scales there's free wood in the woods! You can use paracord obviously, but it's not the most comfortable after a few minutes and food prep traps nasties in there...nice project, coming along a treat!

I know the woods are generous and I don't need to buy it but I also don't have alot of tools to shape harvested wood. I guess I'd need a belt sander to get the wood flat enough to sit tight to the blade handle? that or use a knife carefully. I've used simple bolts to secure handles and replace the old rivets before but It'll be ugly.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
I don't have the money tbh, buying nice wood and decent fixtures will cost a fair bit won't it? I will be buying a few more files tomorrow though, hopefully. I should deffinately make a work bench..might help me out a little bit ;)

Hi Samon,

Theknifes looking good so far, and i'd agree with the others you should go for wooden/micarta scales.

You can get a decent pair of book matched scales for about a fiver, some epoxy about 3-5 quid a pair of liners at 2 quid and the pins and lanyard tube for about 3 quid.

so for less than 15 quid you could make it look brilliant.

You dont have to do it all at once, buy things over the space of a few weeks, thats what i did.

You could even wrap in paracord, as a project to learn how its done, then when you have all the stuff take off the paracord and re-handle in wood.

Its just you've put so much effort into shaping the blade so far that i think it would be a shame to leave it wrapped in paracord.

Tom

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Wet and dry on a nice flat work top will get the wood flat mate... Then pop to B&Q for a length of brass rod to make the rivets... I'm sure someone on here will even donate a short piece to you...
Youtube is a great place to get some insperation...
As for tools, sand paper, a drill and a saw should do you...

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Wet and dry on a nice flat work top will get the wood flat mate... Then pop to B&Q for a length of brass rod to make the rivets... I'm sure someone on here will even donate a short piece to you...
Youtube is a great place to get some insperation...
As for tools, sand paper, a drill and a saw should do you...

Are rivets the better way then? Do you know what type of rivet?, so I can look it up.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I know the woods are generous and I don't need to buy it but I also don't have alot of tools to shape harvested wood. I guess I'd need a belt sander to get the wood flat enough to sit tight to the blade handle? that or use a knife carefully. I've used simple bolts to secure handles and replace the old rivets before but It'll be ugly.

Batton some wood then clean it up with sandpaper on a flat surface. Depending on the size of those holes in the tang I should have some pins if you're after some. Feel free to use paracord, it can look great wrapped but doesn't stand up in the long run in my opinion. I don't mean to put you off it but if you're going to spend time doing this you might as well build it to last first time round as time is money.. PM me with the size of those holes if you're stuck for supplies mate...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE