My first knife project, started today. + pics!

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
PM me with the size of those holes if you're stuck for supplies mate...

Bless him, he must of missed your kind offer and is now rushing round homebase looking for brass rod!!

I just noticed something samon....In your first picture you've got some logs there.... why not use some of that for your scales????

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Batton some wood then clean it up with sandpaper on a flat surface. Depending on the size of those holes in the tang I should have some pins if you're after some. Feel free to use paracord, it can look great wrapped but doesn't stand up in the long run in my opinion. I don't mean to put you off it but if you're going to spend time doing this you might as well build it to last first time round as time is money.. PM me with the size of those holes if you're stuck for supplies mate...

Well I'm going for 6mm holes as I've got some large galvanised nails in 6mm I can cut down and use as homebase doesn't stock any rods..neither does the little diy shop down the road. Yeah I could those logs as ive got a load of tree I cut down at the end of my garden, not sure what wood it is though..maybe some kind of hawthorn. I'll scavange some pieces tomorrow as I'm tired from faffing around all day. Got myself so new files though, 3 pack from homebase and 2 x 6mm drill bits for metal work and a pack of fine,medium,rough grade sandpaper to claen up some wood. :)

sasquach if you have any small bits of proper material for the rivets laying around I'll take them off your hands and pay you on paypal?

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
This looks like an exciting project Samon, and I really look forward to seeing how it migrates from cleaver to knife. Make sure you keep us updaetd with pictures of its progress.

Good luck mate :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
This looks like an exciting project Samon, and I really look forward to seeing how it migrates from cleaver to knife. Make sure you keep us updaetd with pictures of its progress.

Good luck mate :)

Might do some work on it later but I need to make a work bench first, got an old desk I can use for materials so with any luck today or tomorrow i'll start filing it up nice and clean!

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Made a work bench earlier like I said I would from a chuncky desk panel.

Keeping with my tradition of 'enthusiasum over tools' I cut the 2 inche thick chip board by drilling loads of holes with a rusty drill bit (that snapped..) and a big bow saw as I don't have any power tools designed for cutting.. ;) . Bit of no nails glue annd... some nails (didn't have screws long enough) should keep it sturdy enough. I'll attach the feet tomorrow from the remaining piece of cut board and then secure my vice on the bench.

Tomorrow I will invest in some longer screws/drill bits for future adventures and also get some araldite for my knife scales I will have a go at making tomorrow!

https://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/w...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=225586

^ that one right?

So here it is..

WB1.jpg

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Just saw the post from last night. 6mm shouldn't be a problem, I'll have a look at work tomorrow and pm you...

offroadmick

Forager
Feb 16, 2011
Essex
Lol... Thats some work bench you've made there mate! Strange place to have it... You'll have to careful you don't get carried away filing and fall down the stairs! :)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol... Thats some work bench you've made there mate! Strange place to have it... You'll have to careful you don't get carried away filing and fall down the stairs! :)

Haha! I prop it against the wall away from the stairs and sit on a stool so I should be ok, actually got a bit of filing done today but I'll add pictures tomorrow then do more and use a stone to polish up the grind as it's looking rather 'raw' atm.

Sasquach very kindly has donated some hollow pins and some advice for my handle so with some more 'enthusiasum' and elbow grease it should be done in a few days.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Got all the tools out today to finally get the scales made up and fixed on and guess what? Can't find the damn blade! I remember wrapping it up in paper and plastic bags to keep it safe but I think the wife may have binned it..I will search again tomorrow but I gave up today and decided I'd make use of the tools being out so I drew up and started to cut out a new knife from an old saw blade that had gone dull!

Progress so far.

SK1.jpg

When completed I think it'll make a nice skinner! I'll use the hollow pins that sasquach has donated me if I can't find the the first blade by tomorrow night as I have a strong feeling the old blade has been chucked during a clearout my wife did. :(

Either way, it was fun and educational! (steel was a bit naff tbh)

I'll keep everything updated on here! Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE