My first home-made mosaic pins....YAY!

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
thank god....now i dont have to shell out ridiculous money on mosaics! a quick thankyou to Sir Dave Budd and Hillbill for their advice/tips/giving me a foot up the bottom. just need finishing off and a bit o'cleanin. WIKID!

MOSAICS.jpg

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They look cool - I want to try and do a yin yang set with black and white rods in a brass surround with acrylic infill. I did find a very cheap ebay seller in china though.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
well....Hillbill drew my attention initially to the potential difficulty of getting the resin in....then Sir Dave pointed out an easier way of assembling them....so then a bit of a google turned up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa_psUXHJGM&feature=related

gotta admit i then did it slightly different because of what should be fairly obvious difficulties/possible problems....my way involved a bit more work but every pin is solid and usable with less waste and mess....took me quite a while to get them done but i reckon i can do the next lot in half the time and when you consider that mosaic is a pain to source in the uk either because of price, out of stock or limited pattern its well worth it...to me anyway...AND....i made them, which seals the deal.

have fun and get pics on here....very enjoyable to do!

a

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'm wondering if coloured strimmer line or thick fishing line could be used to give a translucent stained glass type effect?

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the strimmer line idea, I used glow powder mixed in with the epoxy resin in ones I made.
Mine were symetrical, but I like the off centre/eccentric one with the small brass rods and single lage steel one (about 4o'clock position)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Thanks for the vid Angst. I had no idea how those things were made.

I assumed the designs were milled into the end of solid brass rods, and always wondered how "home craftsmen" mannaged to do it without CNC equipment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE