My First Bug Out Bag :) Opinions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Turn on the TV any time over the winter, always someone stuck on the snow, people evacuated from their homes , people without electricity or water.

11 days of no running water for thousands of peopel in Northern ireland so far. If that was me I'd want the option of leaving and doing so quickly or of at least being able to make me and mine as comfortable as possible.

Silly me.

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
Sorry, but I found the concept of a bug out bag really silly in this country. Maybe needed if in some third world country but not in the uk. Surely in this country they are pure fantasy. Yes I am awareof the concept of fail to prepare, prepare to fail , but come on, a bug out bag !

You have smoke alarms but you don't plan on having a house fire, you wear a seat belt but don't intend on crashing... Nowt wrong with having a BOB. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sorry, but I found the concept of a bug out bag really silly in this country. Maybe needed if in some third world country but not in the uk. Surely in this country they are pure fantasy. Yes I am awareof the concept of fail to prepare, prepare to fail , but come on, a bug out bag !

No sillier than bushcraft in general surely - given those vast tracts of Virgin Forest the UK is famous for?

Its all about "lets pretend" - and no less fun for that!

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

A common misconception, a BOB is tailored to your location and needs, most of us would have some sort of woodland kit. as you live in Manchester your BOB should contain at least some spare cash, passport, NHS med docs, solar/windup phone charger (or a spare mains phone charger). Just think IF you were evacuated from your house in the middle of the night due to *your neighbor having a bomb factory in his/her house, Gas leak, Flood or hijacked plane in bound *delete as appropriate what would you like/need to have on you if you were not allowed back to your home for 24/48 hr's?

BOB doesn't mean nuke attack - zombie world take over.

This is just my opinion

(I'm shore there plenty of Irish people that will have a few jerry cans of water stored from now on)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Spot on SS

Of course you don't need to ever worry about being disturbed by external problems - just ask the people of Boscastle...or Carlisle....or Northern Ireland...or Gloucester...or...

Red

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
No sillier than bushcraft in general surely - given those vast tracts of Virgin Forest the UK is famous for?

Its all about "lets pretend" - and no less fun for that!

:You_Rock_

the most sensible post i've read in a long time!

tbh, i don't have a BOB, but i do have GOAT bag in my car. Going On A Trip, it's simply a basic backpacking set up.

i once spent 11 hours stuck on the side of a road waiting for the AA to turn up with a truck big enough to tow my rented van home. i really wished i'd had simple things like brew kit with me.

it really doesn't have to be the end of the world, but it can be really needed when it is needed.

cheers, and.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
There seem to be concerns about the weight that some people put in a Snugpak response pak - couldn't you just use a pair of clip on 'thick' braces to give added support? maybe a bit like a Sam Browne belt? and as they would be multi use then could be very useful to have anyway. (not actually tried this - just contributing to the discussion)

Last edited:

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
Some people call it a 'grab bag'. It's a kit that you prepare for the time when disaster strikes and you have to 'bug out' with very little notice.

Of course when that time does come, Murphy's Law dictates that you'll be nowhere near your BOB. :)

Oh! i just know i ll be sat on the loo, at work when that happens.

Do people carry these bags with them all the time then??

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
iv decided to add a military wool blanket to this as suggested and turn it into a mini kit/bed roll type set up, those blankets are impossible to get the hold of! (the good 100% wool ones anyway) any one know where i can get one or does anyone have one spare they'd be willing to sell or swap??

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You will struggle with strapping that on though! Very bulky and heavy. I can't strap my Disaster relief blanket on mine and that a bigger pack!!! Rolled up its about 10inch diameter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE