My First Bug Out Bag :) Opinions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... i have one of those GPS watch thingys from garmin, however the battery life is only about 4 hours and they arent user changeable so its not of much use...

Oh, gosh, that's a very short life! And once it's used up it has to go somewhere to be replaced? From a sales point of view I'd have though that was a non-starter but you have one.:) Still, if all you need to do is get a fix now and then it could last you quite a while if you could at least switch it off when you weren't using it. All that is presupposing that the satellite constellation was still available if things got messy, which is anybody's guess.

...Do you have a response pak Ged? This kit is actually quite heavy do you recon the waist strap is up to the task? I worry the buckle might fail...

The weight is always going to be an issue. If you have any doubts about the load carrying ability of things then test them. Some of the modern day plastic buckles might surprise you. I've hung my full weight on a two inch clip that just holds a cheap parang sheath to a belt and it didn't give any sign of failing. A loop of decent two inch nylon webbing will pick up a small truck.

Yes, I have several similar kits, in different places, but they're not exactly response packs or bug-out bags or whatever you want to call them. I call them my camping kits and I use them regularly when I travel. They vary a lot in weight and the comforts that they supply. Each one except the lightest has some sort of a stove, mostly they use petrol or paraffin (pressurized) like the Optimus or Nova. The lightest is not much more than a survival kit in a belt pouch that weighs less than a kilo, and the heaviest is a full rucksack plus things like blankets, tent, groundsheets and a tarp that I keep in the car. Probably thirty kilos all in. I have a couple for the bikes (a light one for the tail pack when I'm on the Hayabusa and a heavier one for the FJR), a very light one near my indoors bench (I took that one to Pennytown Ponds today, to make coffee for me and the wife and some rice for the ducks), and in my office there's another rucksack which includes a change of clothing in a dry bag and a very lightweight tent. I'm constantly fiddling with them and adding/swapping odd bits. It's a kind of therapy. :) Like you I make a list of things that I want to know I have, here's a list for travel on a motorcycle:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/camping.2009.06.23.txt

I use this list the most, it doubles for other travel and I just miss chunks of it out. Things like the first aid kit and survival kit on that list have their own lists. About 18 months ago I bought a Ghillie kettle, it floats around from place to place depending what I'm doing but it basically goes with me everywhere now, even on the Hayabusa. :)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Red (or anyone else) have you tried using a bandanna as a pre filter, i have included one of these for that very reason, but how effective are they?

I'd go for something like a Millbank bag. I don't think most clothing fabrics are woven tight enough to be much use for filtering water unless you're trying to get the fish out of it. :)

Fine gravel makes a pretty good filter if there's enough of it.

Come to think of it, there are some sticky posts on water on this forum that you might want to check out if you haven't already.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
haha sorry Ged i maybe didn't word that very clearly, its a fitness device (tho it can be used to get a bearing) and the battery runs flat after about 4 hours of continuous use (that includes a heart rate monitor) and then it has to be plugged in to recharge, the battery is built in so its not like you could bring spares to extend its life.

Ill have a look at that list and see if i can get any ideas off it, the millbank bag also looks good, havent heard of one of those before!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Yeah stitching it seems pretty easy, its simply just reinforcing the stress points. A simple stitch with strong polyester thread. The material is similar to cordura but not as abrasion resistant. I have a real Maxpedition Bottle pouch and its stiffer and heavier in comparison. See pictures, this is not finished by far, am waiting for two more pouches from China to replace the First aid pouch (on left in first photo) which is too big for this kit. The water filter and Milbank bag easily fit in the small (6"x4") pocket on the Maxpedition bottle pouch. Its a Middleboro water make, you won't find much about them on Internet, I think they gone bust as website no longer works. And yes I will have two up for sale soon, just want to test this first to see how it all works!

Attachments

• IMG_1801.jpg
    IMG_1801.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1802.jpg
    IMG_1802.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1804.jpg
    IMG_1804.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 42

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Millibank bag would be a great idea. Small and lightweight but can filter water well, only problems are the slow filtering speed and you still need to boil it afterwards. Its such a slow speed you could probably collect water in it

Dec 16, 2007
I use a Dragon supplies belt kit a patrol pack. They are an expensive bit of kit to get at first but I think that seeing as they are bomb proof and very hard to break they will last for a long time.
If I get time Ill put up photos but I am stuck dealing with all the flooding in Queensland at the moment and I may have to use it for real before long.

Swampy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Here is a picture of my set up, i must stress this is my first attempt at one of these and most of the kit is brand new and untested so this may evolve over time as i get a chance to test it all out and see what works and what doesn't.

all constructive criticism greatly welcomed!

Peter

Ok assuming the concept of 'bugging out' in some sort of TEOTWAWKI type event in the UK is sound and I think we've debated that quite a few times on the forum in the past.

Looking at the image I'd be concerend with the following.

1. You have a lot of weight in that set up for waist belt alone to support IMHO.

2. The kit tied on with string to the top and bottom looks to be a bit of a problem IMHO it's ripe to get snagged on stuff and rip. As it's reasonably 'critical' kit I'd also be concerned about it falling off and getting lost. If I was 'bugging out' I would just want to be focused on that not worrying if my kit was about to fall apart.

3. I'd probably keep the knife well out of sight.

4. If the world as you know it is ending would the cell network still be up and running?? Interestingly in the recent Christchurch Earthquake (argueably a 'bug out' type event) the cell network went down ( overload and power issues IIRC) and as the power was off cordless phones were pretty much useless also.

HTH

John

Dec 16, 2007

4. If the world as you know it is ending would the cell network still be up and running?? Interestingly in the recent Christchurch Earthquake (argueably a 'bug out' type event) the cell network went down ( overload and power issues IIRC) and as the power was off cordless phones were pretty much useless also.

HTH

John
AS for the Knife I would just carry that and a firelight kit on my person so if you do lose your BOB then you can still make fire and shelter with what you have on you.

At this moment in time the landline network and broadband is down in Queensland (central area) but mobile phones still work (that is why I can do this 3G thingy on laptop) so 000 (999) on the land line doesn't work so you have to call on a mobile or come to my ambulance station.

Dec 16, 2007

HTH

John
AS for the Knife I would just carry that and a firelight kit on my person so if you do lose your BOB then you can still make fire and shelter with what you have on you.

At this moment in time the landline network and broadband is down in Queensland (central area) but mobile phones still work (that is why I can do this 3G thingy on laptop) so 000 (999) on the land line doesn't work so you have to call on a mobile or come to my ambulance station.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Hi John, good points, i too am concerned about the weight of the set up, im looking to mod it to include a shoulder strap/yoke to take some of the weight and i would like a more secure way of lashing the kit top and bottom, il have to get some webbing straps with buckles for this perhaps. Any other suggestions on how to lash it securely? Several ppl have mentioned the knife and yes i take your point, there is room for it in the front pocket so i may stash it in there.

As for the phone, the phone networks may go down but then again they may not, it depends on the bug out situation, im able to carry it so why not carry it? its also worth noting that this phone has a built in radio, gps, camera, notepad, calculator and can also be used as a torch, all useful functions as back up.

Lewis, that water filter looks pretty good! as does the chinese maxpedition, id be interested to see your full set up including those items

Peter

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi John, good points, i too am concerned about the weight of the set up, im looking to mod it to include a shoulder strap/yoke to take some of the weight and i would like a more secure way of lashing the kit top and bottom, il have to get some webbing straps with buckles for this perhaps. Any other suggestions on how to lash it securely? Several ppl have mentioned the knife and yes i take your point, there is room for it in the front pocket so i may stash it in there.

As for the phone, the phone networks may go down but then again they may not, it depends on the bug out situation, im able to carry it so why not carry it? its also worth noting that this phone has a built in radio, gps, camera, notepad, calculator and can also be used as a torch, all useful functions as back up.

Lewis, that water filter looks pretty good! as does the chinese maxpedition, id be interested to see your full set up including those items

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yep the phone network might go down or it might stay up I suppose it depends on how big the 'bug out' event is. UK hit by Meteor, likely to be down... Gas leak across the road, likely to be up . All the add on functions on phones are great you can tell your friends on face book " Meteor has landed bugging out now" but chew up the battery so once it's flat it's pretty much a dead weight. However if it's just a gas leak and you end up kipping the night on the local primary schools gym floor then it will be useful to keep in touch with folk etc..

I agree if you can carry it why not. I guess I raised the point that in a real life large scale disaster such as the ChCh earthquake it's likely not to be a lot of good in the short term.

For a sort of everyday potential non TEOTWAWKI type 'bug out' event I'd just get a regular 35 ltr day sack and put a bit of useful stuff in there a bit of warm kit, change of underwear, water a bit of easy to eat / cook food, copies of vital documents etc some survival stuff, personal medication etc. Hey presto easy to grab and go if the need arises stuff fits in no problem it's not going to all fall apart if your off out of there and you can concentrate on the job at hand.

Yep webbing straps with secure buckles would work.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
For a sort of everyday potential non TEOTWAWKI type 'bug out' event I'd just get a regular 35 ltr day sack and put a bit of useful stuff in there a bit of warm kit, change of underwear, water a bit of easy to eat / cook food, copies of vital documents etc some survival stuff, personal medication etc. Hey presto easy to grab and go if the need arises stuff fits in no problem it's not going to all fall apart if your off out of there and you can concentrate on the job at hand.
A Daysack makes a whole lot more sense than cramming things in a waistpack and having it bounce around.

Chinook220

Forager
Jan 7, 2010
Warwickshire
starting at the top of the picture, hopfully you will see a silver waterproof cover this is stored at the rear of the pack in the velcro pouch.

To the right of the pack are three lightsticks one of which is a blacklight. (veiwed by NVG's).

under these are a monocular (in the black pouch) in the DPM bag is a Stowaway shirt made of parachute silk.

under these items are a millbanks bag on top of which is a black water carrier and a sewing kit.

in the blue bag at the top is my medical kit whithout FFD's which i carry about my person.
in the silver tin is my Combat survival tin. The orange card is for signalling, at the bottom centre is a military issue Firefly (strobe signalling unit.)

i have also added a bahco folding saw since this photo.

Compass, knife, spork, maps,fire kit, FFDs will be in my smock pockets.

Hope that helps

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A Daysack makes a whole lot more sense than cramming things in a waistpack and having it bounce around.

A pack will also allow you to keep some clothing or even footwear ready to go and to carry those things you might collect or harvest once you are on the way to wherever you are going. :)

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Sorry, but I found the concept of a bug out bag really silly in this country. Maybe needed if in some third world country but not in the uk. Surely in this country they are pure fantasy. Yes I am awareof the concept of fail to prepare, prepare to fail , but come on, a bug out bag !

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Depends what you are preparing for. Gas leak across the road, house flooded or on fire, maybe worth having a bag packed and ready to go. Find yourself stuck in the car overnight, a bag of stuff in the boot could make you much more comfortable.

peterbennett9

Forager
Nov 20, 2010
Belfast
Paully why do you think the UK is immune to any kind of disaster? it may be less likely but still possible, the bug out bag is there not just for the 1% chance of the major disaster but also its equipped for the less serious situations like for example if your car had failed you in a remote location in the recent snow and you had to spend the night. Its not really fantasy, its common sense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE