My first attempt in forging

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I'd say that's a great job for a first go, how did the heat treat go does it throw good sparks?

I think many folk can easily see themselves doing a bit of woodwork or leatherwork but there is some sort of barrier to having a go at bashing hot metal, once you have a go it is just great.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice bit of work there Jan.

Even if it doesn't work it's a good job for a first time at forging. What did you use for a forge?

I made this this morning from an old file I got from a buddy when celebrating my birthday, last night.

Bushcrafters get the oddest things for presents :rolleyes:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
looks like a good 'un to me mate.

as above - does it work?

i bet you really enjoyed that didn't you? made a fire with it yet?

i made one for a bloke about a year or so ago now - managed to get the bugger so hard it took him 6 hacksaw blades to get through it (he wanted two smaller ones because it was killing his flints lol)

best of luck
andy

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I was expecting something else, what with files, forging and bars (mention celebrating)! lol

Nice work, I take it you have your own forge?

yes, it doe work, I will try to get some pictures ( well, shmbo will manage te camera and i the steel....) when sparking the thing.

I dont have a forge....yet.
Planning to make one or let one made it for me.

As said, I am just starting with it and dont want to invest large amounts of money for a forge but an old car wheel and a hairdryer will do the trick.

At the moment all I use for heating is a large gasburner where the burn the tar on rooftops with.

My anvil is a piece of train rail.

For heat treating i heated it twice very red and cooled it in vegetable oil.

Just lited a piece of charcloth with it and I was impressed by the amount of sparks!

ATB,

Jan

Last edited:

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Good work Jan, you must feel proud.

Im enjoying my first atempts at forging, feels good making traditional functional items.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE