My first, aka "the gift it on knife" aka "the frog"

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Here's my first (be gentle) ever knife handling project. (although I may keep on sanding it)

All parts except pins generously donated - see this thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74797&highlight=

A whittler Kev carbon steel blade blank
A Hhazeldean set of mahogany scales
Liner courtesy of Culloch

It's called the frog. I wanted to make the handle a touch deeper and longer than the blank Kev provided allowed so I used the liners as spacers. Here's how it turned out (apologies for poor phone pics)
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMAG0288.jpgIMAG0287.jpgIMAG0286.jpgIMAG0285.jpgIMAG0284.jpgIMAG0283.jpg

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
why has no one commented on this yet?

I like it mate, looks rustic! ;)

how long did it take? and what's the blade like?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
About 8 hrs in total, including lotsof sawing, rasping, and sanding. But I also had to grind the holes bigger which took a fair bit of time.

Rustic about sums it up, it was a big experiment.

The blade itself sharpens well but I have yet to use it properly.

Cheers

Mike

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can see why you called it "The Frog" that big lanyard hole is just perfect for that name. Much better than what you described it as in your first posting, after I read that word it's all I saw when I looked at the handle LOL!

Sheesh, you spent a lot of time sawing and rasping, but the result is worth it if it fits your hand the way it should. Do you have a vice to set it in to work on? Simply clamping it to a solid base will halve the work time as you spend less time getting it comfy again to work on.

Really nice result Mike, now all you need to do is make a sheath. No pressure like LOL!

(Ribbet ribbet)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I can see why you called it "The Frog" that big lanyard hole is just perfect for that name. Much better than what you described it as in your first posting, after I read that word it's all I saw when I looked at the handle LOL!

Sheesh, you spent a lot of time sawing and rasping, but the result is worth it if it fits your hand the way it should. Do you have a vice to set it in to work on? Simply clamping it to a solid base will halve the work time as you spend less time getting it comfy again to work on.

Really nice result Mike, now all you need to do is make a sheath. No pressure like LOL!

(Ribbet ribbet)

I made a mistake and thought I could just go at it with a Dremel. Wasted about 4hrs doing that. Then I wise up, put it in my vice and went at it with a rasp. Much quicker. I also experimented with a number of different shapes. I found getting the scales anywhere near even quite tricky too.

Here's the original blank
attachment.php

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE