My experimental hammock set up. (picture heavy)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have no clue regard the math behind it "but" I believe looking at "the whoopies from the tree huggers", they will take "all" the load before it shares any out?
Just my opinion.
I'm all for new ideas and methods but self preservation first... lmao

It seemed solid enough but ill hang em a bit higher (they're shoulder height in the latest photo) and put an angle on em if peeps are worried. I think they would slip before they break though.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@mountain
The structural ridge line does share the load with the hammock. However, the ;load on the strap coming from the tree, and the suspension line from the strap to the ridgeline/hammock line junction takes the full load. The makers of Amsteel, Sampson, state that whoopie sling type constrictor splices reduce breaking strain by less than 5%. However, your tree strap has a knot (marlin spike hitch) which will significantly reduce the strength of the strap material. IMHO, better safe than sorry, work for an angle of dangle of 25-30 degrees.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Absolutely correct. It is a good set up. Notice that the suggestion on HF has the (almost) obligatory 25-30 deg angle. I noticed that in your photographs, the one where you are in the hammock, the trees bent a little and you ended up at about a 30deg AofD - a stress level with which the trees were comfortable.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Absolutely correct. It is a good set up. Notice that the suggestion on HF has the (almost) obligatory 25-30 deg angle. I noticed that in your photographs, the one where you are in the hammock, the trees bent a little and you ended up at about a 30deg AofD - a stress level with which the trees were comfortable.

Aye, the trees kicked up a big fuss, but then settled down into just a few minor complaints. Read below - I've already capitulated and agreed to hang my webbing higher next time. At head height they should be about right.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
It is a very long time since I did trigonometry, and the formulae in that presentation made my head spin.My comment was ironic (at least, I thought so)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It is a very long time since I did trigonometry, and the formulae in that presentation made my head spin.My comment was ironic (at least, I thought so)

Ok. Having read the whole of the thread that came from it becomes apparent that an srl makes no difference whatsoever to the tension on the tree straps. So you were right to advise a higher degree of dangle. It seems the people on hammocksforums had a good time discussing this one too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE