My experience of Cage diving with White Sharks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
You’re in a cage… the shark’s in the water?
Remember that scene in White Shark part 1?
Let me tell you that the first time I found out that you can see these awesome creatures in their natural habitat by sitting like a rabbit in a small metal cage I wanted to do that.
In today’s time where most people know more about Sharks and Nazis due to National Geographic than 10 years ago white Shark diving is good business in Cape Town South Africa.
However not all of the companies will guarantee you white shark sightings, for that you have to travel a little further to goosbay and a little place called Shark alee now famous due
to national Geographic.
No place on this Planet has a higher concentration of white sharks and I was about to find out why.

We booked with www.white-shark-diving.com a month in advance, they are pretty booked out and this particular organisation is well known an probably the best out there.

0530 pickup in Table Bay and after a 3 hour drive were where finally there.
After a small breakfast and a nice safety briefing and the interesting aspect that we cannot scuba dive because the bubbles scare the sharks we were finally on the boat on our way with 12 other passengers to shark alley.
The choppy ride (the Atlantic ocean is quite rough) we finally arrived at our spot not far away from a small rocky island with about (I’m not kidding) 1000+ fat seals.
I was under the impression that it would take some time for the sharks to come up and check us out but low and behold the minute one of the helpers put the bait out what concisted of some
Tuna heads a second later a smaller white shark checked out the bate and decided it’s nothing he likes and moved on.
Obviously we got quite excited and hurried up to get into our wetsuits, as soon we had this done the first 6 people got into the cage.
I can only describe my experience with these magnificent animals as amazing, they are nothing I thought they would be, if I had to describe them in 3 words after seeing them I would choose
Gentle (I know it sound crazy but I will explain this later) Cautious and curious.
Let me assure you that National Geographic portrays these animals in the worst way possible, I have talked to some of the men on board and they know national Geographic well and said they film for some time and then of course take out the best and goriest bits.
In all the time I have seen sharks and there were plenty from very small to up to 4+ meters large (and let me tell you 4 meter doesn’t sound much but when you see that underwater it looks like a bus)
None of them have shown the crazy behaviour the like to show on TV.
The biggest shark we saw was a female who was probably a little bigger than 4 meters, she came up from below were the water is a little milky and according to the Shark expert on the boat must have been around for a while observing the scene for a while before deciding it’s save enough to swim up and take a bite.
I only spotted her because I love to look down (it gives me a little bit the creeps because it’s all black down there) and I just spotted here when I nearly had no air left, she didn’t come up fast but rather slowly casual and I couldn’t believe how big she was. That particular shark stayed with the boat for quite some time and gave good opportunities for some good shots.

All in all this experience has radically changed my view on white sharks, I never really believed that these animals are simply out to kill but I after seeing them and experience firsthand how cautious
And easily scared they I know it sounds crazy but everybody in the boat including my wife said the same thing that we were all under the impression that they absolutely no interest (from a food point of view) what so ever.
In fact many thought that the aspect of free diving (there are more and more people who do that) is not so crazy at all.
Think of this, a couple of month before we went out to see these animals a freak wave capsized a boat and all on board were in the water for more than 5 min, now that’s a long time with god knows how many apex predators around who are all surface feeders ;) and none of them were touched or hurt apart from the 2 people who drowned.

After 3 hours watching sharks we and the sharks became a little tired and it was time to move back but before that we just stopped by the little island with the 1000+ doomed seals.
It was fascinating to observe them and let me tell you if they have to leave the island they don’t mess around, they go straight to bottom and stay there until they have the worse behind them.
In fact one of the guys told me after I asked them were all the scratches and scars on the sharks nose come from, that when the seals spot the sharks first they actually swim down and bite them into the nose to scare them away, they are tough little ******** and you cannot help but feel form them.

But hey the sharks have to eat lucky it wasn’t us for that day ;)

If you are in South Africa you have to do this, it's an amazing experience, and since white sharks are endangered animals who knows how long we have them around.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
So the cage was not needful after all?

I think a company would be rather foolish to allow their paying customers to swim in the ocean, unprotected, with the top predator! With any wild animal, what you cannot plan for is the "Oh sh**!!" factor! They are wild and therefore can do unexpected things.

Sharks are seen as killing and eating machines because they are always on the move and they never stop for a jolly game of hide and seek or to do some knitting. Knitting is beyond sharks as they don't have opposable thumbs. Or fingers. Or the need for garishly knitted jumpers! They do have a need to feed and keep swimming as they have no swim bladder to keep them afloat. They digest food very slowly so don't eat as often as we think they do. In this respect, they mirror the other top waterborne predator, the croc.

Gailainne

Life Member
Sorry Spam, but I've personally seen sharks chilled out on a ledge, as long as there is enough water flowing over their gills, they are quite happy to sit and wait for the prey to come to them, some can ( I think) even pump water over their gills, (nurse shark, shrug not sure).

Also I think you will find sharks (or some) have quite a high metabolism, the Great White and the Mako have been noted for it. A Croc I believe can survive on a large meal for a year or even 2, and I've seen stated that a large shark can survive on the oils in its liver for a year.

Ive swam in open water with white tips, black tips, and scarely, grey whaler sharks, as well as Nurse and other common species found in tropical reefs.

To be frank unless the shark is longer than you, they are more scared you'll eat them rather than the other way around, the grey whalers was another matter, next time I see you, remind me and I'll tell you the story, I might even be persuaded to drink some "Stags Breath"

Baracuda, especially the oceanic ones, about 8 to 10 feet long, they scared the crap outa me, thats another good story :D same dive too.

Stephen

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I agree that there are sharks that can stop on the deck, rays are related to sharks, wobbegong or carpet shark is another and I believe the nurse shark stops for a tea break now and then. Lack of opposable thumbs makes it difficult to hold the cups though! The big sharks are the ones that more often than not keep moving. There're always gonne be exceptions though.

Not many people know that there is a shark that looks like a dwarfed great white in British waters. The porbeagle is also responsible for one death in British waters, a surfer in Cornwall in the 70s. So there you are!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I agree that there are sharks that can stop on the deck, rays are related to sharks, wobbegong or carpet shark is another and I believe the nurse shark stops for a tea break now and then. Lack of opposable thumbs makes it difficult to hold the cups though! The big sharks are the ones that more often than not keep moving. There're always gonne be exceptions though.

Not many people know that there is a shark that looks like a dwarfed great white in British waters. The porbeagle is also responsible for one death in British waters, a surfer in Cornwall in the 70s. So there you are!

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Fantastic experience..........i love the sea, i wish i had done marine biology and sodded off to Belize or Aus or Indo or any where but here at the moment.............sharks are amazing but,........................it's predetory colleagues you need to watch out for.

Mark

Oh an i dont meen female flirties either........................:bluThinki

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE