My Covid-19 and later projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 41
Crusader Cup lid and coffee filter support
Made from the bases of pound shop mess tins and bent around an MDF former.... they say you get better at things as you keep doing them ... this is not my first set of lid and stand .... they lied.
PC100003.JPGPC100005.JPG

Google "Caesin Glue" for a full explanation :)
if i understand correctly it's some form of sealing?! :)
i just remembered that Ruediger Nehberg (shame he passed away...) recommended in one of his books to boil milk in homemade pottery of they leak (as this seals the pores) but i haven't tried it as my attempts at primitive pottery were rather unsuccessful... :-(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 43
Pan lid into frying pan
So as not to waste a handle left over from my Crusader Cup lid project.... it also shows that my metal skills need even more practice! The handle mount is riveted on using peined over nails....
PC110004.JPGPC110005.JPGPC110006.JPG

Reactions: Minotaur

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 45
More booze!
Raspberry Vodka (I forgot to bottle it with the other spirits...) and "Ports" made by washing the remaining spirit and flavour out of the various fruits using red wine :)
PC190001.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 46
Schrade knife conversion
I have had this knife for a while but never really got on with the grind so using basic tools (and not fine enough grit papers!) I reground it to a Scandi - much better!
OK it is not a pro job, looks rough as a dog's (or badger's) but it cuts well now (even cutting the ink off newspaper) and is more usable. The handle contains a "survival kit" and is cord wrapped under the "Tactical wrap" (AKA vet wrap) and the sheath is of my own making. The spine is ground flat to throw good sparks from a ferro rod.P2170003.JPGP2170005.JPGP2170008.JPGP2170010.JPGP2170012.JPG
Purists may wince - I am happy!

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I really like that John, it gives me hope for a few knives that should really be better finished, and have secondary grinds closer to 40 degrees each side....I'll find a moment as some point to do the same.

Cheers for the inspiration....

Reactions: John Fenna

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 47
Green Leather trio
I aquired some green leather pieces (front of an MOD welding vest?) and wanted to make stuff. I ended up making a book slip and bookmark (both embossed with hearts though those are not easy to see in the photos) for part of the wife's Valentines gift and the rest went making a padded belt pouch for a pair of binos - despite there not being enough to make the lid quite as I wanted it... a bit gappy around the top of the sides...
It gave me something to play with...
P2180001.JPGP2180002.JPGP2180003.JPGP2180004.JPG

Reactions: Minotaur and SaraR

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Project 44
Revive a briefcase
I was given a worn out briefcase as a source of leather but decided to revive it...
A lot of re-stitching was needed, plus new closure straps as well a feeding the dried out leather.
It is now usable again!
View attachment 63302
What do you use to revive the leather? I found a fantastic despatch briefcase just before Christmas & bought it to try and restore it to its former early 20th century glory. The straps are in a bit of a state though. They've got very dry over the years and have suffered. They are pretty cracked and none of the things I've tried have been able to make them supple again. Not sure whether to just cut my losses and replace them or persevere. My leather working skills are not the best, so ideally I'd like to keep the originals!
Cheers, Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 48
Waterbottle pouch
Made from scraps I had to hand....
It can thread onto a belt or clip to a pack ... ready for summer walking thirsts :)P3230002.JPGP3230001.JPG

Holds my Kleen Kanteen, Sigg or small vacuum flask.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 49
Portable table...
Mainly for use on static rather than backpacking trips!
Mainly Hazel poles, lashed with cheap paracord.
P3270001.JPGP3270002.JPGP3270003.JPG
Surprisingly stable!
This also represents an update on my fitness progress (project 22) as each stick represents at least a 5 mile walk as I cut a "walking pole" on each outing ... and I have not used them all :)
Current fitness level...
Well - the fitness is coming on.... This mornings walk was a 7 mile road circuit with 152 meters uphill (and downhill) in it and I was carrying a13.25 lbs daypack - it took me spot on 1.75 hours giving an average 4mph speed
1f642.png
My current weight is 9st 11.25 lbs - so the weight is still in check too.
Not bad for someone who weighed 17stone, struggled to walk a mile and was on a waiting list for 2 new knees and two new hips. I am now looking at the local hills and planning routes ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE