My Covid-19 and later projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 57
Well - I was off sick (not Covid but sick anyway) and took my recovery time to make some trousers....
I took as my inspiration a pair worn by Annie of the "Sub Zero Crew" at the Winter Moot and cobbled together this pair of Super Heavy wool trousers that will be my Very Cold Weather "go-to" leg wear. I call them my "Dreadnought" trousers :)DSCI0002.JPGDSCI0003.JPGDSCI0004.JPGDSCI0005.JPG
The main fabric is a heavy and dense pure wool and the reinforcing is some Cotton Twill that I had left over from previous projects. The wool is so thick that a wool waistband was impossible - as was a double turned "simple" hem as the multiple thicknesses were to thick to fit under the foot of my sewing machine!
The leg hems are just an overlocked single turn but incorporate an elastic draw cord so I can blouse the legs over my boots.
The photos show me wearing the trousers bith both belt and braces/suspenders - with my standard pocket contents the trousers are very heavy and a belt needs to be too tight for comfort to keep them up and this is where the braces come in and the belt is just there to hold my knife, leatherman etc ...
The wool is not overly silky but not too rough to wear without long underwear under them - though in cold conditions that is always an extra degree of warmth!
The pockets hold a good deal of kit :)

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
nice work John! i'd love to have a decent pair of heavy wool bush pants. had some about 20 years ago but the moths turned them into swiss cheese. :( been thinking of deconstructing a spare pair of my favourite army surplus pants as a pattern.

Reactions: Minotaur

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
nice work John! i'd love to have a decent pair of heavy wool bush pants. had some about 20 years ago but the moths turned them into swiss cheese. :( been thinking of deconstructing a spare pair of my favourite army surplus pants as a pattern.
There is a very good pattern book with helpful instructions which I am sure John will sell you ;)

John, how do you get on with the one button on the cargo pocket?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 58
Bits from after the Moot
At the Moot I picked up a drinking horn in a leatherette holster - I HAD to make a real leather one....
DSCF0003.JPGDSCF0005.JPG
I also made the blade for an "inshave" for bowl carving from an old saw (under Dave Budd's tuition) and have just finished making a handle from "mystery wood" from the scrap pile, jute string, copper roofing nails (under the wrap) and pine resin/beeswax/charcoal dust glue.... now I need to find some wood to carve into a bowl!
DSCF0002 (2).JPGDSCF0003 (1).JPG
More post Moot playing is in the pipeline!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup - he did me proud!
Project 60
Saw blade adze
I cannot claim responsibility for the blade - a Dave Budd special, made from an old saw blade, but I have put a handle on it :)
Seasoned hedgerow Ash from my fire pile, jute twine, my usual resin etc glue...
The handle is cranked for comfort but when I find all it's faults (angle/length/weight etc) I may well rehang the head....
Now to sharpen it and find a bowl to carve!DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is correct :) Wet formed 3.5mm veg tan for the cup and hazel pole. Jute twine lashes the sling to the pole and is covered in pine resin glue as per usual :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 62
Leather bags
My old cotton bags for carrying tinder and my BIG charcloth production set up were getting very tired ....
"Urban Buffalo" from a pals sofa and artificial sinew.
DSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE