Leatherwork projects and blog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Hi guys, I thought it might be a good chance to show you some of the leatherwork I've produced over the last little while, particularly some work I have done this summer. A friend commissioned me to make a simple sheath for his grandfathers sheath knife and I came up with the following:

IMG_2078.jpg

I also made myself a belt pouch which I use to carry my fire making kit etc. It is based on an eighteenth century pattern and is lined with a reproduction early eighteenth century fabric:
image.jpeg

image+copy.jpeg

I also put together two reproduction eighteenth century belt pouches which I intend to sell at re-enactment events in the next little while:

IMG_2070.JPG

This is based on the one in the picture below:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ipyW9vqAn...sFgM/s1600/edward+hatley+a+sportsman+1752.jpg

This second pouch is also based on an eighteenth century painting:

IMG_2072.JPG

seemanhuntingbaga.jpg

These are all made from veg tanned leather, stitched by hand with waxed linen thread, dyed and finished with beeswax and neatsfoot oil which acts as a pretty good waterproof coating.

I hope that is of some interest to people, I'm no expert on leatherwork and I'm certainly still learning with every project. I'm currently working on a new sheath for a knife I got recently and experimenting with vinegaroon dye which seems to be working well (pics to follow). For other less bushcrafty projects that may be of interest take a look at my blog:

http://yeomansleather.blogspot.co.uk

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Thanks guys, I recently added this knife to my collection (a repro eighteenth century trade knife hand made in the states by Old Dominion Forge) and made a sheath for it. I used the knife this weekend and whilst it's no 'all rounder' it is a really nice knife. I used if to skin and butcher a deer and whilst I suspected it was a little too long it the blade length came in handy for cutting the flesh whilst the sharp tip was perfect for skinning. All in all a lovely knife, certainly one I'll be keeping razor sharp for butchering tasks.

Should have added this
photo+1.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE