My Covid-19 and later projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 85
A sheath for a pal
My Tree Surgeon pal Mike said he did not want paying to take down a large Hawthorn in my garden hedge which was blocking sun from our fruit trees and bushes (and next door's garden but he wanted the sheath of his knife altering to give a "Multi-Carry" set of options.
Fair skills trade!
He dropped the tree without damaging our fruit trees and bushes and did no damage to next door's garden either ... so I made a complete new sheath for the knife, following the style of the original :)

Original sheath
DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPG
New Sheath with belt,baldric,high horizontal and low horizontal options.
DSCF0004.JPGDSCF0007.JPGDSCF0005.JPGDSCF0006.JPGDSCF0003.JPG

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Project 85
A sheath for a pal
My Tree Surgeon pal Mike said he did not want paying to take down a large Hawthorn in my garden hedge which was blocking sun from our fruit trees and bushes (and next door's garden but he wanted the sheath of his knife altering to give a "Multi-Carry" set of options.
Fair skills trade!
He dropped the tree without damaging our fruit trees and bushes and did no damage to next door's garden either ... so I made a complete new sheath for the knife, following the style of the original :)

New Sheath with belt,baldric,high horizontal and low horizontal options.
Love that John.
I was only talking to someone today about bartering, and sharing skills in return for goods or services.
That sort of thing makes the world go round a little smoother imho.

Looks like a beast of a knife!

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I like how the neck is designed on that spoon, looks like it should add some good strength. Think I might give that a go for my next whittle.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is known as a "keel Spoon" as the depth of the neck extends into the base of the bowl to ... give extra strength :) I have a feeling it may be a Finnish style - but I could be wrong....

Reactions: Minotaur and Chris

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Project 67
Danish Poly Cotton trousers
Well - this is really more machine practice to get used to my new machine and it's quirks ... I actually have plenty of trousers...
I used my usual (home made) pattern but the fabric is some I got from The Prepper Shop - Danish Military Olive 67/33 Cotton Poly fabric 1.5m wide ... and only £3.47 per meter! Very affordable and I knew that even if I fouled everything up I would not be too badly out of pocket...
I had some issues - the fabric is quite "soft" and moves under the machine a fair bit... and it frays very easily and quickly! The photos make the fit look a bit strange but that is because of my strange pose and the way the new (summer weight) trousers hang up on the thermals and blanket wool shirt (home made a while back) I am also wearing.
Overall I am fairly happy with the trousers, the fabric and my new machine ... but it was a steep learning curve with a fair few resewn seams!
View attachment 77453View attachment 77454View attachment 77455View attachment 77456
I was just looking on the Prepper Shop and this fabric has gone up to £8 per meter. The clothes you make look so well fitted, it's giving me inspiration to have a go at making my own trousers.

Reactions: Minotaur

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I started by making a chambray shirt - ended up with an OND in Design and designing for Craghoppers, Snowdon Clothing, Climbing4 etc..... still can't stop making stuff even though I am semi -retired (full retirement in April!) - true addiction!

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I started by making a chambray shirt - ended up with an OND in Design and designing for Craghoppers, Snowdon Clothing, Climbing4 etc..... still can't stop making stuff even though I am semi -retired (full retirement in April!) - true addiction!
That is quite an impressive résumé..

Reactions: Minotaur

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I had a search and I found some of your book on Pembrokeshire. I've not visited Pembrokeshire much, apart from a few diving trips, but I have spent half of my life in Cardigan, I'm actually going there for a few days next week.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I get the impression the autobiography would make for good reading.
Along with "Satanic Verses"....
Most of my walking/cycling books are out of print now - try Amazon:)
Facsimiles of my DIY clothing, Fleece, equipment books as well as electronic versions of my DIY canoe accessories, and budget Bushcraft books are available from me for £5.00 each or the equivalent in a trade item that you have made yourself, is made in and represents you local area (if you are Belgian then some chocolates are good :) or French a good cheese etc etc) if you are interested lets go to "conversations" or meet at the moot :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE