My Covid-19 and later projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 70DSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPGDSCF0005.JPGDSCF0009.JPGDSCF0010.JPGDSCF0011.JPG
Danish Polycotton Smock and second pair of trousers
All made pretty much to the same pattern as my other smocks and trousers - except I made the hood a little bigger and added a waist drawcord to the smock and took another inch out of the waistband of the trousers!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 71
Wool hat
Made by sewing up the back of a worn out British Army pullover... a bit scratch on my baldy head - but very warm!
DSCF0006.JPGDSCF0007.JPGDSCF0008.JPG

Edit - 16/4/23 - now lined with the repains of a torn Buff headover :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Minotaur

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 72
Badge holder
I did not want to add Velcro to the new smock so made a double sided badge holder to hang off the pocket button... it also forms a pocket to hold my insurance details and extra business cards when I am in the woods :)
DSCF0013.JPGDSCF0014.JPGDSCF0015.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If I wear the wool hat over one of the old, reversible, double skinned Buff caps - then it is not only very comfortable and very warm but also even more versatile and the little neoprene peak keeps the sun out of my eyes as well!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 72
Wool shirt
With the demise of an old favourite wool shirt and the realization that another is worn almost transparent in places, I decided it was time to make a new one. The fabric was a gift (thanks Mary) and the pattern was one I have used many times since I first designed it. The fittings came from the scraps box :)
DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPG

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your clothing is nice and tailored.

Im busy with my Iron age work clothes, but I doubt they were much fitted.

Still, I have a tunic and a lukha now.

Reactions: John Fenna

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nice work John, out of interest, what belt tool/knife you have on you in the pictures?
The pouch is from an original Leatherman Wave (given to me by Tim Leatherman himself - but that is another story) containing a bladeless Leatherman Rebar my EDC tool. In my trouser pockets are a SAK (retro fitted antler scales) and an antler scaled Sheffield carbon steel EDC clasp knife - my day to day set up :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 73
Scraps chair
Now this one really is a "Covid" project ... despite my best efforts Covid has eventually got me - and got me good! Two weeks ago I was sitting with my "Hospital bag" all packed and ready but luckily the proscribed antibiotics sorted out the chest and sinus infections that came with the Covid and I stayed out of the NHS strike areas...
I am only now starting to feel well enough to be bored and today I used up scraps (a couple of Rowan, Hazel and Willow poles that have been clogging up the garage for a couple of years, some scraps of paracord and a rag of mesh fabric) to make a new chair for my permanent camp (where I will, hopefully, be running a small Meet at the weekend) to replace one that is too big, too heavy and starting to rot.
The fork and fabric are there to take bags and odds that I want to hand...DSCF0001.JPGDSCF0002.JPGDSCF0003.JPGDSCF0004.JPG

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Sorry to hear that you got so ill, but good that you’re improving at last. Do take it easy and don’t overdo it as you’re recovering. Nice looking chair - great for sitting outside and enjoy the fresh air in the meantime.

Reactions: John Fenna

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 74
Beeswax based polishes
Another real "Covid " project ... after trying to go back to work after a negative Covid test , I am back on the sick list ... with "Post Viral fatigue" AKA "Long Covid"!.
Although I spend most of my time dozing/rotting in front of the TV I have found enough energy to make some Beeswax polishes
DSCF0001 (2).JPG
Top - Dubbin for leather waterproofing and care. 125g Lard, 200g wax 200g Neetsfoot compound oil.
Left - wood wax polish. 100g wax, 250ml turpentine substitute (white spirit), 10ml Lavender oil (for a nice smell!) The brown is the remains of a dye wax previously in this tin, now stored in the lid - stiff enough waxes not to mix :)
Right - Leather polish - 200g wax 300ml Neetsfoot compound oil.
Basically just (carefully) heat and mix the ingredients - something I can do even with a head full of mush!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 75
Hat bands
I like Tilley hats (though the quality of the canvas has dropped DRAMATICALLY recently). I have worn out 6 of the T3s over the years always getting them replaced for free with their lifetime guarantee :) I have also bought 2 - so currently I own 3 Tilleys ... and they all needed new hatbands as I like to customise everything :D
All are comfortable - more comfortable than you might thing in two of the hatbands ... which are not rusty steel but painted leather!
DSCF0004 (1).JPGDSCF0005.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE