My Buschcraft Experience

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodhead

May 17, 2006
Devon
I'm a fresh newbie on this forum, but felt like sharing my experience of the Bushcraft Expeditions FOundation course last week. I'm hooked.

After having a childhood camping on beaches and playing with fires and canoes, my wife bought me this course as a Christmas present to satisfy my need to do things beyond everyday routine.

It was superb. The course was run in a piece of woodland in Dorset, owned by the Architects society. The overwhelming impression was LOTS of beech, birch and willow sitting in acres of bluebells, with a parachute strung in the middle of it all and a fire with endless supplies of hot water for tea.

The course was taught by Lawrence and Ross, both very approachable and motivating, especially when it came to lighting fire by friction. I cannot believe how much energy and technique was needed for this, but as a skill, it is one of the most rewarding things I've ever learnt. I tried it again on my return home and it seemed to take no effort at all, using the same drill and hearth, but producing and ember and flames within about a minute. I intend to keep practicing.

The course dragged me away from the very cosy comfort zones and easy life of modern living and made me appreciate how to live simply and still be very mentally content. It seemed very strange coming back to a car and a modern house.

I have learnt lots of new skills and made new friends and look forward to a whole new facet to my life.

BTW- Do you HAVE to wear green?? ;)

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
i prefer colourful summer dresses
oops did i say that out loud
i also along with the bright colours i like to carry a radio with me - you know natures sounds are sooo boring and its nice hearing some phat beats
lol
welcome

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
Welcome !

Good to hear you had a great time.

You surely will enjoy this forum. Great threads about all you need to know (or share) about enjoying bushcraft.

Bob

woodhead

May 17, 2006
Devon
Marts said:
Welcome Woodhead.

Did you meet anyone with an annoying laser pen on the course?
Did I ever!! Lovely Brummy chap, though he swore blind he was from the Black Country! I have never seen so may gadgets in one week, the laser being one of them.

DB_Scaley

Mar 25, 2006
Stourbridge
Hey... I'm from the Black country ok..

The laser is still going strong and I have got in with me now at work, should be able to have some fun with it out here. I'm back home in 6 weeks so thinking of doing a trip somewhere... maybe Sweeden.

I will be checking ebay for the latest gadgets dont worry.

Hope you are all ok, chat soon. Dean :cool:

W

wavsurgeon

Hello m8. Nick here.

Just found this forum....... :newbie:

I thought the course was quality 'n' all.............thoroughly recommend it.

Am after a few pics if you still have them. The one's I've got didn't turn out too good......... :(

Have been camping every other weekend since the course. Was a bit surprised to find another 5 ticks on me when I got home tho'. Thought the 4 I removed would be it........ :eek:

DB_Scaley

Mar 25, 2006
Stourbridge
Hi Nick,

Hope you have had a look at the photos on here in the member gallery under my user name. Will sort out the photos when i get back to UK.

The tics in that area only seem to go for the cockneys...haha

see ya soon

DB_Scaley

Mar 25, 2006
Stourbridge
Hi Marty,

Not got into the full swing of ebay on this trip but got a few good bits and pieces..
I give the laser a blast out here, but dont want the Spams to bomb me so put it away. one top ebay fishing gadget made sure i was the only person to get 2 rainbow trout out the pond. much to the dissapointment of the rest of the group especially Nick the so called fisherman.

Back home in July for 7 weeks so thinking of getting out there and back into it..

Namibia is getting closer as well.

Hows things anyway mate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE