My Blade Is DONE!!!!!!!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
well i did it for an hour and when i looked at it, it was not as dark (straw like) as i wanted it, so moved the shelf up 1 slot and did another 30 mins, this seemed to do the trick....

i wanted to give it a good soak because this blade is thicker than my others and could end up being used with out my axe, that means lots of battering......;) just me being OTT probley...:)

turned out ok, still needs some polish work and maybe some high grit sanding in places, but overall quite happy with it, my first O1 flat stock, so its ok ish.....

It's a nice knife mate :) I wrap the blade in tin foil, shiney side out, this provides a more even temper and it doesn't take as long :). 220 degrees for 45 minutes is what I would recommend with this method :). Also if your going to be bashing it about it would be a good idea to temper it to around 58rc so as to add toughness while still retaining a very good edge. 60 is a little hard for that and may cause chips if you aren't careful :)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
It's a nice knife mate :) I wrap the blade in tin foil, shiney side out, this provides a more even temper and it doesn't take as long :). 220 degrees for 45 minutes is what I would recommend with this method :). Also if your going to be bashing it about it would be a good idea to temper it to around 58rc so as to add toughness while still retaining a very good edge. 60 is a little hard for that and may cause chips if you aren't careful :)

ok,cool will give that a go on the next 1, dond think the balde edge will get bashed to much, just battoning as i wont have an axe.....

thanks HB will try next time and see how it goes........

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Really like the look of that. I can see some leather work coming on.

yep!!!! will be 3mm veg tan, compliments of Rich, thanks mate...;).....id like to try and mix the colours up so its sort of stripe/blodges of lighter and darker bits, im going to use an iron oxide mix, or as Rich said Iron Tablets from boots...:)

should be able to do it by putting some water on the bits i want lighter first.....

i have a question for you chris?????? what do you use to sharpen your blaeds as i noticed the edge is so pollished and shiney, wet stone i presume, just very fine and working down?????

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
looks better still on the new pics Chris,...

i,m banging up some hi viz liners tommorow, after being inspired by your dusters ones,...

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
yep!!!! will be 3mm veg tan, compliments of Rich, thanks mate...;).....id like to try and mix the colours up so its sort of stripe/blodges of lighter and darker bits, im going to use an iron oxide mix, or as Rich said Iron Tablets from boots...:)

should be able to do it by putting some water on the bits i want lighter first.....

i have a question for you chris?????? what do you use to sharpen your blaeds as i noticed the edge is so pollished and shiney, wet stone i presume, just very fine and working down?????

I've not touched the blade on my friction folder. That's exactly how Duncan finished it. The edge on my fixed blade is another matter. I nicked it with a file when I was shaping the handle, and have been using a coarse silicone carbide stone to grind back the damage. When it's all gone I'll either be investing in some Japanese water stones and working up through the grits, or I'll be cheating and posting it to Strider from British Blades who's developed a bit of a reputation as a master sharpener.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
I've not touched the blade on my friction folder. That's exactly how Duncan finished it. The edge on my fixed blade is another matter. I nicked it with a file when I was shaping the handle, and have been using a coarse silicone carbide stone to grind back the damage. When it's all gone I'll either be investing in some Japanese water stones and working up through the grits, or I'll be cheating and posting it to Strider from British Blades who's developed a bit of a reputation as a master sharpener.

cool thanks mate, worth knowing about Strider......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE