My bedroom ceiling

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Sloped off into the woods this morning to try out my new hammock - found a lovely spot between a sweet chestnut and a sycamore. Ground underneath is mainly soft sand where rabbits/badgers have been digging. Have cut the tapes in my hammock and now have a Frost knot at each end instead (so can easily take a carabiner, although I'm using shackles at the moment). Would have been more peaceful without the dog thrashing about/panting so might go back without him later.

Used a RM hitch (Slavic?) on one end with a taut line hitch the other. The latter didn't hold very well - perhaps it's not suitable for tape?

58c777a4.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
True to my word, I went back and spent a few enjoyable hours doing sweet FA this afternoon. Had a thin sleeping back underneath me so was quite cosy until the evening started setting in, so came home (had a bivi bag with me but frankly couldn't be bothered to unpack it. Too much traffic noise for absolute serenity but if I sleep there one night I'm sure it will be quieter

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
bliss innit. If you're tying the webbing to the trees a good double wrap around with a shoelace knot to finish is the easiest way. You'll soon be marlin spike hitching with whoopies though - mark my words!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Was it evenk hitch you meant?

Took some pics like that the other night too.

Me, Gill and my daughter Gemma, total chill out.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
bliss innit. If you're tying the webbing to the trees a good double wrap around with a shoelace knot to finish is the easiest way. You'll soon be marlin spike hitching with whoopies though - mark my words!

The evenk hitch (thanks, Barn Owl) held up fine - it was the adjustable hitch at the other end that caused the problems. I tried a taut line hitch - that slipped, an adjustable grip hitch - that slipped, a Blakes hitch - that slipped too (until I tied the free end to the shackle). The tape/rope that came with the hammock is about 15mm wide (it's a flat tube, if that makes sense) and quite slippery. Perhaps I didn't dress them correctly (guess who got a book on knots today?*)

Those whoopie things look good - can you give an example of how you'd tie a marlinspike hitch with one?

Did get to see a rabbit, that was about as close to nature as I got today... my hacking cough sent it scarpering

* the Geoffrey Budworth Guide to Knots - free from Freegle!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE