My basket collection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I finished these two baskets off yesterday. Thought some people might like to see them. All the baskets i make are from natural materials that i have harvested myself from the woods and fields.

fieldbasket1.jpg

fieldbasket2.jpg

I now have quite a collection of baskets that i have made, you may have seen some of these single baskets before in other threads but i thought i'd post the pics up anyway

collectionbaskets.jpg

collectionbaskets2.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am following your tutorial on making a bramble basket at the moment...but as I have no iside space to work on it the project has taken a backseat during the recent weather...it will get restarted as soon as it is possible to work outdoors again!
Although it is not as "finished" looking as your baskets I am getting great satisfaction from the project!

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
They look great!

I was watching a documentary a few months back about dying arts and one example was and interview with a very old lady about basket making.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Great pictures and fine work. I just love the little guy in the last picture with the pine cone handle on the lid.:)

Blutack

Nov 21, 2007
Glasgowish
Fantastic!

I quite fancy having a go at a bramble basket myself now. Do they have to be harvested at a specific time of year? (i.e. can I do it now in the middle of winter, and get away with it?)

Cheers!

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thanks guys, glad you find them of interest!

I sent this information to John Fenna in a PM but i thought many people might find it to be usefull so i am posting it here too.

The basketry tutorial that i made quite some time ago: (http://www.jonsbushcraft.com/basicbasket.htm) has become a little out dated now because i have learnt a lot since. The main method of weaving the sides and bottom of the basket in the tutorial was a weave called 'twining' but these days i have learnt that this is maybe not the neatest way of weaving a whole basket. If you follow the tutorial you will get the same result as in the final picture but being as i wrote that article quite a while ago i now know a neater way to do the main weaving. On my baskets these days i still use the 'twining' method for the first couple of rows at the centre of the base to lock everything in place but then after that i use a method called a 'chase weave' or on the main sides of the basket i sometimes do 'French Randing'.

To do the 'chase weave' you need an odd number of spokes/ stakes. To start you simply add two weavers in, (one behind one spoke and one behind the next spoke) then weave arround the basket as normal with the first weaver (in - out - in -out- .... etc) then you stop and take the second weaver that is behind and weave arround with that one in the same way... but the second one never over-takes the leading weaver. Its really very simple and you get a really nice even weave. Hope you understand what im trying to explain there. (btw, i have also found that If you have an odd number of stakes you can just weave around and around with a single weaver and it will look great too.) Example of the Chase weave:
chase.jpg

If you use the twining method all around the basket you get weavers crossing over all the time and this can sometimes look strange in places... I'll update my tutorial some day soon...

If you wish to try the 'French randing' method on the sides (which looks pretty posh and uniform) of a basket you Basicly add a weaver at the side of each stake and weave each one (to the right) infront of the stake next to it, then behind then next and then out to the front again. Then you take the next weaver from the left and do the same. always taking the next weaver from the left. Things will look a bit complicated when you come back around to the point where you started because the first one you wove will be over the top of the two last weavers... but its not as complicated as it looks, just weave those ones from underneath as you did for all the others. (this will all make sense if you actually try it... you'll work it out) This is how i wove the sides on my latest baskets at the start of this thread.

Another tip for making even and smooth sides is:
When you come to the end of a weaver and want to add in a new one, add thick ends to thick ends and thin ends to thin ends. And cut the old weavers off on the inside.

Hope this all makes sense and helps out a bit

Best wishes!

Last edited:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Fantastic!

I quite fancy having a go at a bramble basket myself now. Do they have to be harvested at a specific time of year? (i.e. can I do it now in the middle of winter, and get away with it?)

Cheers!

Yes Brambles can be collected at anytime! I find them easier to weave than Willow too. They dont take long to dry and you can re-soak them ready for weaving in just a few hours!

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
John these are just brilliant, and as someone else said your photography is beautiful. Can I ask, one of your baskets looks like it's sealed with pitch, what's the story with that?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
How do you make them. I am quite new to all this but would really like to have a go.

Well, its quite hars to just tell you outright how i made these baskets. There is a lot to know and it takes some determination and patience. I recommend reading some books on wicker basketry to get you started. Its a thoroughly rewarding and satisfying craft to take up. Like i said, i have a tutorial on my website showing how to make a basic wicker basket. It is a little out of date now but read my last posts about that...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE